TheLupusSite.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have both Lupus (SLE) and Psoriasis? I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2005...this past month I was also diagnosed with Psoriasis....I am beginning to get very depressed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

I haven't been diagnosed with psoriasis yet, but think I am headed towards it. I have an elbow that is becoming increasingly scaly. I went to the GP with it and he felt it was a type of eczema. I'm not convinviced after doing some reading.

My elbow first developed intensely itchy red spots, almost like small bug bites. The itch drove me nuts! Then I started getting flaky skin areas. No amount of lotion solved the problem. Now I'm getting silvery oval patches on the elbow. It all comes and goes, so I often have nothing there at all except some mild redness. Is that anything like what you are experiencing?

Terri

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Sadie i have had psoriasis since i was 18 and pregnant that was a long time ago as i am now 53.I have it on my head sometimes it comes round the sides of my face i have a special shampoo from the doctor it is called ceanel.It helps to keep it under control what part of you does it affect. Elisabeth

·
Dee
302 Posts
I have psoriasis too.
It's on my knees, so short skirts are out of the question :lol:
At the moment mine is a mild redness, it does flare up badly & I get a steroid cream from the GP for it.
It can itch something awful too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
SLE is the diagnosis (whether I believe it or not).
I always found there was a inverse relationship between skin problems and joint pain. When the joints were screaming, the skin was OK; when the skin was a total mess, the joints were fine. I put this in the past tense since the relationship was very clear thrity years ago. It is not so clear today but still is true a bit today.
Douglas+

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, I've has psaraosis (spelling, sorry:lol: ) since i was a uni , of and on for about 6 years. It's now back on my scalp, and medicated shampoo seems to sort it it. It tends to come out in periods of stress - so i know this could be impossible, but try and not stress out!!! :rotfl: But be careful, as my dermatogolist was concerned that it might be lupus on my scalp. It never rains but it pours!!!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Sadie :hello:

I have both psoriasis and lupus, I was dx with psoriasis when i was 20 (33 now) and i was dx with lupus may 2004.

Do you take hydroxychloroquine (plaquinel) for your lupus, if so make your dermy aware that you take this med as it can trigger off psoriasis flares, i have now taken the med since may 2004 and it hasn't effected me but it is worth letting them know.

I have had lots of different treatment for psoriasis as i have had it quite bad (arms, legs, back and face) the only treatment that really cleared up most of my psoriasis was PUVA (can't remember what it stands for) but its sunbed treatment so that one is out of the window now as i have discoid lupus.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I don't have psoriasis, but my sister does. Autoimmune problems run in my family.

Raglet

·
Registered
86 Posts
Before I was diagnosed two years ago, I have had ongoing psoriasis or eczema (sp?) until I started taking Plaquenil. It seems to have helped tremendously.

I had it on my eyelids, under my eyes, around my nose, hands, and on the sides of my face, it would itch so bad sometimes I couldn't help scratching it and making it worse. It was almost like a mild burn, it would then crust and flake off.

I finally went to the dermatologist and he gave me some cream, it comes back occasionally and I just use the cream and it clears it within 24 hours.

It can be very miserable. I am one of the lucky ones with only a mild form of Lupus and RA. Good luck, Raeann

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hiya,

I have Lupus but my partner has Psoriasis. I was taking Methotrexate for my Lupus and Simon has recently been offered it to treat his Psoriasis. It might be worth asking about to try to kill two birds with one stone.

The only other treatment that has cleared Simon's skin is PUVA or UVB treatment but as many of us Lupus patients are photo sensitive this probably isn't the best solution all round!!

Hope this helps.

Amanda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.