TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brenda
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never heard this so I thought someone else here might benefit from hearing it. I saw my pulmonologist and it was a particularly painful day for me. He told me "lupus likes routine". He told me to get into a routine, preferably that includes at least a little exercise and stay in it. He told me that although lots of things will trigger pain, a change in routine is a known one. I didn't know that. I do know that whenever I have to go shopping I pay for it the next day. Anyhow I hope this information might help someone else.

·
JellyJazz
172 Posts
Pacing, routine and scheduling always come up when i go back to the hospital - i've only recently been diagnosed but since doing regular hydro therpay i have noticed a big difference..i now go onto physio therapy which will be regular exercise. They do say that exercising whilst in a flare is not a good idea though.

I like routine anyway but i do think it helps your body - no horrible surprises for your body to cope with. Then again what works for one doesn't work for others..

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's really interesting, not sure if it works for me - my bosy totally recovered after being off work for 6 weeks (school holidays) and coped well with being back at work, but after about 6 weeks i started to feel tired again at the end of the day - same routine (near enough) every day. But i'm totally out of my routine just now - moving house in two days and my body knows it!!!!!!!!! so maybe a gentle consistent routine is what i'm looking for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alison,

Yay - I was beginning to think I was the only one who "hit the wall" after going back to school in the Fall. This summer was wonderful; slept until I woke up (sometimes 10:00 A.M.) and by the end of the summer I was thinking that maybe I might be on the upswing. Ha, silly me. I was in a fog all day yesterday, but today is better. And ... I lasted longer this year than I have in the past. My days are routine and predictable, yet I can feel the energy slipping away at times. I'm lucky in that I work in a library; when things are too tough I can sit at the computer and do all my processing, etc. My colleagues joke with me that as the year goes on I get out of the library less. Just the mere thought of walking in the hallways tires me then!

Ann

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Brenda,

The most important routine is taking your meds around the same time everyday. When I go on vacation it isn't always possible and I definitely notice a difference.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Brenda
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've sure enjoyed reading all of ya'lls experience with routines. I can see that in some way or another they do affect us.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Christianirc, you have a very wise doctor!
The importance of routine in many diseases can hardly be over-emphasized. Beginning with something as simple as going to bed at the same time every night, turning out the light at the same time; rising at the same time every morning; eating at regular times; making your bed etc. The idea is not to create a robot but a healthy rhythm of living. When I do this I am inevitably healthier than when everything goes sideways and the schedule thrown off: flare.
Douglas+

·
Registered
9 Posts
christianirc;523327 said:
I've sure enjoyed reading all of ya'lls experience with routines. I can see that in some way or another they do affect us.
i have lupus for 3 years, routine has just dawned on me, am rubbish at pacing myself though, love the pic of dog

·
Registered
23 Posts
Routine definitely affects me, especially mealtimes. I get so tired and cranky if I have to wait even an hour later than usual for a meal. I visibly slow down. I find the worst offender is big occasions like other people's birthday parties or weddings, where you have to fit in with their schedule. I now make a point of cramming as many cereal bars as I can into my handbag when we go to such events!

·
Brenda
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that is a good idea. I, too, have trouble if mealtime is altered. I try to keep peanut butter crackers in my purse but a meal bar is such a better idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts