TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all again from a hot Australia!

I'd just like to point out an important issue with sunscreens and sun creams as there is often some confusion and the labeling of some products don't always tell the full story. Note how many say they have an SPF of 'thousands' these days?

Well,

* The term 'broad spectrum' apparently refers to both UVA and UVB rays being blocked.

* SPF (Sun Protection Factor) only measures UVB protection.

To check if UVA is being blocked, read the ingredient panel and see if ingredients such as Zinc oxide are included. Alternatively, purchase broad spectrum products.

This info could also apply to make-up products promoting a sun safe formula.

I'm sure Clare may have mentioned something similar to this, but I couldn't track it down. I just thought this might be helpful as we come to the end of an other hot summer here, and in a month or so, it will be an issue on the other side of the planet for those with lupus.

Regards as Always
Geoff
Australia

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Geoff,

It is indeed a good idea to have a general sun awareness reminder before summer (and at odd other times during the year).

There have been many threads on this subject. Among them

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73387&highlight=sunsense

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53490&highlight=sunsense

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71142&highlight=sunsense

There are quite a few. A search with terms such as "sun protection" sunscreen" and so on should bring plenty up.

Katharine

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Geoff,
Thank you for that bit of information as some may not know that this is the case. You are so right about the uva and uvb as it applies to the spf numbers. I also would like to add that they say apply every 4 hours (I have found that it is more like every 2 hours and still sometimes that is not good enough). I hope you are feeling well and doing well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey i used this awesome sun cream last summer-didnt even get a rash in death valley!! Its piz buin sun allergy factor 50+ def recommend it to any lupie!!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Just a couple of mentions

UVA ratings are indicated by stars in the UK and maybe Europe too. Sufficient coverage is not provided by any makeup I know of. Wear sun screen all the time whatever the season - UVA comes through all year round regardless of cloud cover and people shouldn't assume that because they live in northern climes like the UK that there is less risk.

Remember that UV rays are ambient: they reflect off shiny or light surfaces like cement, water, snow, tiles. Hats should have all round brims at least 4" deep. When you look through them light should be blocked. Lined ones are the best and wearing two thin garments is also pretty effective

I have a sort of scarf hood thing that protects my jaw line which is badly affected because it is relatively unprotected. I am often driving afternoon when the sun is lower in the sky

An umbrella is very useful indeed when outdoors for long periods because you can angle it. There are special ones made these days. You might get some funny looks but who cares, it's common practice in the Far East. In fact I saw mention of a lupus awareness march where everybody carried the same bright coloured umbrellas which I thought was a brilliant idea.

Basically every man woman and child regardless of lupus should be following the same precautions as used for skin cancer. In fact if you get stared at because of your umbrella and cover ups you can just say "skin cancer, you know" if you have the ooportunity. That shuts people up fast!

Mexoryl is the top recommended ingredient and has now been approved by the FDA. Parsol is another chemical ingredient - they absorb sun where as the titanium and zinc microparticles block it. Mexoryl is in La Roche Posay's Helianthos and one other I forget which.

Neutrogena is getting good write ups. I think that's on the NHS list of sun screens that can be prescribed. I use Sunsense which is a well known Australian brand so I reckon it is going to be good. It is very easy to wear, & sits well under make up, and I think it is invisible and not whitening at all

Cheers
Clare

1 - 5 of 5 Posts