The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where do we stand with this ? are there any special measures we should take to reduce our chances of getting it ....other than all the normal precautions that is? and what happendsif we do catch it? :(
just wondering if there is anything i should know!!!

have a good weekend all

Rachel

·
Duncan
254 Posts
Rachel,
I walked in to my GP for something a couple of months ago and he already had an ordinary flu vaccine ready for me without me expecting it. I guess he'll do the same with the swine flu vaccine when I next see him. As someone with Lupus you tend to jump the queue for such things, so worth asking your doctor.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I am actually being treated for swine flu and I hurt all over. If you think you have it you can still be given an emergency supply of Tamiflu but it must be given within first seven days to be of any use. I had to have a prescription and the Doc. also had to fax the Chemist as they only just have enough.

If anyone does need to take Tamiflu-a word of warning, the first dose makes you feel VERY nauseated. I have just slept a lot and felt quite muddled up.
Hope this helps.
x Lola

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
This was orig in reff to bird flu but mite be of some use....

The following substances may be best to avoid during a H5N1 pandemic

Elderberry juice (Sambucal) - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 virus. Increases in these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med Journal2002 Nov;4:944-6)

Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) - AVOID - Increases production of cytokine TNF-a. (Pubmed PMID 11731916)

Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. (Pubmed PMID12824009)

Chocolate - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)

Echinacea - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1. (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)

Kimchi - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. (Pubmed PMID15630182)

Dairy products & Bananas - AVOID - These foods increase mucous production.

Get better soon Lola :hug: You poor thing xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanx pollianna,
you had me till the C word was used. :sad:
no chocolate oh the boo=hoo's are coming :eek:hno:
saying that my botty is getting big i could do with losing a few stone :wink2:.
will do the rest though and pass the info on to the healthies as well.
hugs nic

Chocolate - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928) [ pollianna wrote ]

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hiya,
I received a letter from my consultant today, about what to do if you're on immunosuppressive therapy (so only if you're on aza, metho, cyclo, rituximab, or pred). To paraphrase it says ring your GP and get tamiflu if you think you've got swine flu, or if you come into contact with anyone who is suspected to have it, and get the vaccination as and when it's available.

It also says air travel is not advisable (have to admit I'd probably be ignoring this one if I was planning a holiday - luckily I'm not). And the difficult one for me to do is to avoid working in places where you come into contact with large numbers of people (I work in a large open plan university building :lol:). I'll still be going to work on Monday morning...

Hope you all have a good weekend, and try not to stress about it :hehe:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think Fairy's advice to not stress about it is sound.

I work in a school where there are quite a number of kids & parents with confirmed swine flu. Just yesterday one affectionate 10 year old who I hadn't seen in a while came up and gave me a fat hug.. 'Hi Ben, how are you?' I asked innocently 'I'm fine now thanks - I've had swine flu!'... :eek:.... I carefully extracted myself from the hug and went and washed my hands...

If this area is anything to go by, then short of living as a hermit, it's going to be virtually impossible to avoid bumping into people who have the virus at some point over the next few months - partly because it presents in such a mild form in some people, so they may not realise they have it.

I think we just need to be vigilant for early symptoms. It's apparantly very important that Tamiflu is taken within 48 hours of symptoms presenting, & especially so for those of us who have compromised immunity.

Hope you all have a healthy day:):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts