The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am thinking about going to a dietitan/nutritionist to try and develop my diet so help support my lupus...has anyone else done this? How did you go about finding a suitable consultant to help? Can you recommend anyone? Any advice/stories of experiences would be much appreciated!

RM

·
4,446 Posts
I read a book called the lupus diet book, it was pretty harsh way of living though, I am all for being healthy but found the advice quite extreme, though if that was all that got me some relief I would do it!!! Good luck with the dietician, be interested in what they say.. though a generally healthy diet should be beneficial to any illness etc... let us know how you get on.
Claire XX

·
Registered
250 Posts
I havn't been in here in awhile but your post kinda asks a question that I'm currently trying. I've been through chemo to treat Nephritis and the last few years just not feeling well. A friend that's a Chiro and holistic/natural diet practicioner has wanted to get "at" me for quite awhile. I wasn't too into it until a couple years of feeling like crap and getting nowwhere with my Doctors. I've been on what he calls a "Intestinal Healing Shake" for a bit over a month now. It's a meal replacement. I have one in the morning and one before bed. I do seem to be feeling much better and am quite happy with the results so far. The stuff to make the shakes is a bit pricy, but if it can eventually get me off some of the meds I'm on it's worth it.
Also there is a good article that was in the LA Times last week...I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

-Eric

·
Registered
152 Posts
My rheumy had an "Arthritis Cookbook" in the office. I looked through it while I was waiting one day. It was nothing special. Just your basic balanced meals, vegetables and fruits. Whole grains. All very common sense. It was like thirty dollars too! You'd do better just typing "healthy recipes" into google.

·
jmaca
203 Posts
The big thing for me was giving up gluten. It changed everything. I originally went to a naturopath and did a whole anti-inflammation diet. I kept to it strictly for about a year. I felt terrific. My worst pain problem was always muscle inflammation. It took that away.

That diet also had me give up red meat (not a problem because I rarely eat it), pork, shellfish, dairy, and sugar. I'm allergic to shellfish so it didn't matter. Mostly, the diet was very similar to a Japanese diet of fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and rice. However, my rice was brown rice. Also, no fast foods, but that didn't affect me because I've always cooked my own meals because it's cheaper in the long run. I still put sugar in my coffee (yes, I still drank coffee even though it was restricted). I had to drink a shake a day the first few months for vitamins. Gradually added foods back to my diet, except for gluten.

A couple years have gone by, and I'm still mostly off the gluten, although not 100%. I really do feel a difference when I avoid it. I rarely eat bread, but I will eat foods that have bread crumb coating. However, if I go out to a restaurant, I'll eat a roll. I eat much less dairy than before. And I still eat lots of vegetables, fruit, nuts, and brown rice.

The good thing is that I've still retained most of the benefits. My muscles really aren't a problem anymore. My inflammatory arthritis hasn't advanced, and sometimes it improves a little. I can walk for miles and miles now. I joined a gym and am slowly building some muscle. Couldn't even think of that before.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.