TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i'm fairly new to this disease I am not yet familiar with all the aspects of it. My lupus so far is pretty mild. No organ involvement .I'm on plaquenil,and that's all. For the past month I have been feeling really really rotten. The fatigue and aches were worse then ever ,but i also developed the chills ,alternating with hot flashes, eyes that wouldn't stop watering , headaches ,and sinus pain. Now all of a sudden i wake up on Friday and i'm feeling so much better. So is that what a flare feels like? Well, maybe that is a stupid question because I'm pretty sure that's what MY flare feels like. But are those the same symptoms that most people have when they have a flare?Is a month long flare pretty normal? And is it okay to go on prednisone only when you are in a flare ? I really don't want to go through another month like that if i can take something to get me through it. I definatly do not want to go on prednisone full time though. Is it okay to just take it intermitedly?
My rheumatologist is a 2 hour round trip,and really hard to get in to,otherwise I would be asking her these questions. Besides I find that you guys on here are great about answering my question in a knowledgable way.,and it doesn't cost me $120.

thanks ,Kate

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Dear Kate,
So glad you are feeling a bit better. As to your question about the nature of a flare, it is probably as variable as you would expect from "the disease of a thousand faces". For me a flare involves screaming painful joints, fogginess of mind, sometimes a mylar rash, fatigue, stiffness and occasional racking crippling spasms. But the next Lupus sufferer may have a different combination.
As to your questons re medication I would not venture an opinion; I think such should come from an MD. My impression is that analgesics [pain meds], fancy or not, should be maintained and stopped only on medical advice. (Keeping pain down takes less drug than pushing pain down.)
All the best!
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm sorry to say I've had month long flares and I've had a 3 month long flare. So you never know how long a flare is going to last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi

Hi,
Flares can very from person to person, personally I have been in flare up from a couple of weeks to 18 months......
As far as prednisilone is concerned.......people vary on opinions.......personally I refuse to take them long term and have short sliding scales provided by my rheumi.
Again see your gp/rheumi and he will see you right.
Hope you feel better soon.
take care of you
Dawn Felicity

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Dawn,

It sounds like a flare to me. It is possible that something else was going on in your body and only your doctor can help you with that. My doctor prescribes me prednisone only when I am flaring. I do have a supply with refills but I am not to take it daily. Your doctor would have to tell you how he wants you to take prednisone if he prescribes it for you. I would hope you can call him when you are flaring to get his advice.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Karen,
I'm sure that the reason I was in the flare is because of allergies. For the first time in my life I had allergies this Spring. So I think my body was just being overtaxed. I do have a supply of prednisone that I'm to use when I go on long motorcycle trips. I was tempted to use it to get through this flare ,but since I hadn't talked to the Dr about it i decided to just tough it out. I know I need to see her ,but it is so hard for me to get the time off to do the 2hr round trip , then I usually have to wait an hour to see her.I'm usually exhausted afterwards. And she will not renew RX's over the phone. You have to make an appt. It's just a huge hassle ,and I wish i could find a rheumy that's closer,but there aren't any. Next time I have a flare like that though I am going to call her. I don't want to go through another month like that without having a little help. Thanks for your helpful reply.
Kate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts