The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fairly annoying arthritis in my hands. I have been on many drugs for it including metho, arava, humira, and prednisone. Right now, I am getting frustrated because I am losing grip strength in my hands. I can't open anything! I can't even open those little juices you buy at the store with a twist top or a twist top pop for that matter. Is there anyway to help increase this? Is it usually just physical therapy? I do have a nifty jar opener that works for many sizes but it's frustating to be only 24 and not be able to use items in a recipie etc. because my hands won't work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
:) Hi allerian, you came to a ggreat site. i have had lupus for 24yre now and know all about the hand thing. you must always move them every day and if you have to use special things so what atlest you can sill do it.use ahot pad or a warm cloth i can put it in the micro wave them put a lite icepackk have had to many days of that. keep talking with yoour dr. about different meds. sorry i am getting tered and losiing my train of thoughts/i will write more later. you will get a lot of replys. take care. sue

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too find this incredibly frustrating!

I hate it when my hands spasm and I then find it difficult to keep hold of whatever it was that I was trying to open or cut or whatever. It is a very scarey feeling, I remember the first time it happened, I thought I was having a stroke.
I will keep reading this thread with interest to see how others cope with this, sorry I could only sympathise and wasn't able to offer something helpful :)

·
not a female
56 Posts
I think it is something to do with the vasculitis (blood vessels swelling up).

My fingers and angles get a bit fat (and currently I have spots where they seem to have bursted).

I can still use my hands just fine, but I have trouble keeping my hands steady. If I like extend my arms in front of me, my hands always shake slightly. Definitely not due to a lack of strength, but a lack of something...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Allerian

I have had lupus for approx 30 years - properly diagnosed for about 15 of those, previously diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis. I too have those problem hands and it was exactly the same as you, I found it very hard to accept in your early 20's. I used to wonder what would happen when i got old. (now 51 so nearly there I think - hands still work - sometimes!!)

In those early years I had a wonderful visiting nursing sister from the Arthritis association come to my home monthly and help me both mentally adjust and physically adapt to my reduced capacities.

One of the best things she ever suggested for me to do with my hands was to continue to work at keeping them straight, not let them turn inwards at the wrists and to warm them up whenever you can. And, rest them well.

Therefore when waking in the mornings I would fill the kitchen sink with warm to hot water and put my hands either directly into the water or into gloves and then the water. If they started getting stiff and hard to move I would do this several times a day. I know you can buy a "glove" type heat pack filled with grain here in Western Australia, they work brilliantly. It would be worth you checking out some of the places that stock items to help with disabilities - there are some brilliant ideas out there.

The other thing is to look at some of the working wrist and hand braces as these brace and support your wrists and hands and continue to allow you to work and get things done.

Keep on trying, never give up and don't let it beat you! Thats my motto and 2 grown children later it mostly still keeps me going.

Sending you gentle hugs and all the best of luck. :hug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts