TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Kat and I have been diagnosed with Lupus since I was 12 years old. I have always had issues with my monthly as a result of the Lupus; usually it is very heavy and the PMS is unbearable. However, this past month, I completely missed my period and I have no other reasoning besides stress and the Lupus. After doing some research, I have read that it depends on the person.
Does anyone else have this problem and how do you handle it (i.e. medication, not stressing, etc.)?
Thank you!
Kat

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Hi SK, I have had a terrible time with the periods except mine just don't seem to happen. I get the awful PMS and then hardly anyhting materialises. I know this is lupus because I used to be so normal and they still come every 28days.....My anxt has improved with the plaquinel though

I heard that endo can do this to a person. have you been tested for endometriosis?

·
4,430 Posts
Hiya, when I was suffering with severe Endo I never missed a period, they were just very heavy, lasted a good seven days and the pain during and particularly after the period was excruciating. Endo can mess up the whole routine of them, though not mine! Certainly stress can make your cycle go up the shoot too. It might be a good idea to check it out with your GP or a gynaecologist, just to ensure all is well. The other thing to think about is Thyroid, my periods got heavier and I felt more tired and flat just before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid.... all things for your GP to check.
All the best,
Claire X

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm also having a missing period dilemma Kat, i put mine down to just starting methotrexate, and i read that it can stop or halter the regularity of your cycle. It's so frustrating, and annoying, try not to get worried about it- not best at it i confess, but need to think that our bodies have got so much to be getting on with all the medication we pump into it on a daily basis no wonder some of the regularites struggle. I'm also on a proestrogen pill, which may alter my periods too - don't know if thats the same for you. Just have to keep with it i'm afraid.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi

I usually don't have any periods when I'm flaring and on only hydroxychloroquine. However, when they put me on prednisolone or immunosuppressants I can't stop bleeding, so now I'm on the combined oral contraceptive pill, as the progesterone only one just doesn't have any effect on the bleeding. The OCP makes me feel tired but I don't have much choice as otherwise it will never stop. I'm no help, but thought I would let you know that you really aren't alone.

Lupo30 xx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Stress has never caused me to miss a period - I wish it would then I'd get some benefit out of it! :)

There are a multitude of reasons why a woman can miss a period: obviously pregnancy, medication side effect, hormonal changes due to age or stress, and just the odd missed ovulation which can either cause you to skip a period or to have it almost 2 weeks early. If this is just a one off thing, then there's probably not too much to worry about but if it happens again or you fail to get a period soon then I'd be checking in with a doctor.

The medications that can help are usually hormonal birth control, so you'll want to know if you have the clotting autoantibodies associated with lupus if you end up wanting help for this problem should it occur more frequently. If you do, then hormonal birth control is typically not a good option.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Just wondering myself if being on steriods can make periods heavier.???

I have been experiencing heavy periods for a while.

I am infact having a operation on the 20th April... D&C and coil to see if it helps. While I am having that done they are also going to check the womb to make sure nothing else is causing the problem, but I have wondered if being on steriods can be a cause.

Sheila xox

·
Registered
3 Posts
sheila t;541143 said:
Just wondering myself if being on steriods can make periods heavier.???

I have been experiencing heavy periods for a while.

I am infact having a operation on the 20th April... D&C and coil to see if it helps. While I am having that done they are also going to check the womb to make sure nothing else is causing the problem, but I have wondered if being on steriods can be a cause.

Sheila xox
I have been told that the steroids can make your periods crazy. either heavy, irregular or gone all together. I know mine totally disappeared with the Pred.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thanks Tink for the reply
Sheila xox

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best thing I ever did!

First off, I did this after I was done having kids so only read further if you are totally done with the idea of ever having kids.

Two years ago, my periods were so heavy that when I'd stand, I would gush etc. I was having horrible PMS, lupus pain, and fibro pain around the time of each period. My periods were irregular and terrible. My doctor suggested I have uterine ablation done. Basically, when you are under general anethetic, they burn the inside of the lining of your uterus off. It wasn't extremely painful... a tad crampy. I didn't have a lot of discharge afterwards although I think some people do. I was very freaked out by the whole thought of it mentally, but it has been one of the best things I've ever done. At first I didn't have any bleading at all monthly. I did start to have what seemed like monthly breast tenderness etc and period-like symptoms. Not cramping. After about three months, I started spotting just a little each month like clock-work. NEVER more than a panty liner would handle and most of the time just enough to be noticable upon whiping, but not on my underwear. The PMS and lupus issues related to my period have been HUGELY reduced! At first, my doc was a little nervous about the effect of such a surgery on my lupus, but has been a huge blessing!

The one thing I was ultra cautioned on is that I can never put myself in a position to become pregnant because it would be very dangerous to both myself and the baby. The babies never survive and the moms can die too. I guess since there is VERY VERY little lining left, if an embryo implants, it basically does so into the uterine wall and can cause huge issues. I'm not married or in a relationship, but if it were to become an issue, I'd have to think about permanent birth control. The doc didn't want to do a tubal when they did my surgery because they are two very different surgeries and I would have had to be under a lot longer, a longer recovery, and could have had different complications....

This was something I think that freaked me out more than other people due to childhood abuse issues with a doc and I made it through fine and I would HIGHLY recommend this surgery for anyone having troubles!

Amy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
Just reading this post with interest. I have only been diagnosed with SLE recently. Im currently on 20mg Prednisolone and in the last week have been put on 50mg of Azathioprine. My period started 2 days ago and its soooo heavy!!! I'm also more "bloated" then usual. Is this all down to the steroids?

Donut x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts