The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey did anyone watch ER last night? The mom of asian decent was wheeled in I guess like from a stroke and they were asking the daughter the meds she was on and she prednisone and something else, later as they were working on her 2 doctors were debating over treatment and the male doctor said its protocol for all lupus patients. unfortunately she died not really a positive way to show lupus on TV but I found it interesting and I meant to save the show to watch again and erased it!!! Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone else watch it!!:)

·
Registered
642 Posts
People always die of Lupus on ER, Scrubs or whatever.:(

It does not make for good drama if the patient just has her medicines adjusted and goes home:rotfl:

·
Registered
32 Posts
lupus on tv

:p :p is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of lupus on medical shows, it may just be that as i have it i am more aware ,but you are right its everywhere. still not all of us can have such a famouse illness.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi laura :bigsmile:

no I didn't see that episode :eek: :eek: I'm a fan of ER too although after watching it I always head for the chocolates :lol: to cheer myself up!!

I think you must be further ahead than us in the uk.....there has been 2 other cases of lupus in ER that I can recall..one was a young lady having a transplant & the other was a bishop/priest whose lupus was progressing rapidly!..both cases very disheartening :sad:

on the bright side at least it all helps towardslupus awareness! :rolleyes:

love karen x

·
jmaca
203 Posts
In a weird way, I'm glad that they show people dying of lupus. It's often so hard to get people to recognize that it's a serious disease because "you look so good!" "Such rosy, healthy cheeks!" etc. If TV watchers see lupus depicted as a very serious illness, then maybe it will give them a lot more sympathy when they meet someone with lupus.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
we haven't seen that one yet, it hasn't been screened, and unfortunately I just couldn't resist reading this post. I never can. It takes a bit longer to make it to down under, though we are not far behind. I am my own worst enemy !

People with lupus ALWAYS die on ER (remember luca and the bishop episodes), and most other shows ......

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I did watch it last night but somehow i missed the part of what she died of but did see them saying she had passed away.Wow sure teach me not to go potty while watching a tv show :rotfl:My hubbys uncle asked me on this past tuesday night if i saw on
monday the 12th of may because they interviewed a 30 year old gal who had three children and had sle lupus also.I missed it grrr:sad: but talked about how hard it is to have lupus and do all the normal day to day stuff with so much fatiuge pain and many other things along with it.It was really nice to see his uncle was so interested in knowing all about it.I am sure glad we have finally got to this point where everyone is getting the chance to know what it is like to live with lupus.Well thanks for letting us know about the er show.:)

Tammy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry if I spilled the beans on the future episode for those behind us in the states!! I am sorry!! I hope you can see it when it does air. It is the season finale!! I have been a fan since the show started what?almost 13 yrs ago!!:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi guys,
I didn't see that ER episode. Used to be die hard ER fan, but stopped watching when most of the original intersting charchters left. But I did foillow the season with the bishop who had lupus; was that maybe 2 yrs. ago.

I enjoyed following his progression because they kept showing him throughout the season from the time he was came in and was just asking for treament for his lungs or joints, not telling the ER docs that he had lupus. I was so touched by his explanations for why he didn't want anybody, his parish, etc. to know about his illness and his choises to just get treatment for his symptoms because he accepted there was no cure and he was going to die.

I also was educated and glad they depicted a white male having lupus because I'd read and been told by my docs that it was predominatly a woman's disease and that it was found predominantly among African Amercan, Asian and Latino women. It broadened my awareness and am so happy that it made the mainstream viewers aware of the disease and its pregression, treatment, etc.

It's also been shown on the show "House", which is a phenominal (sp?) show. Although he is a class A jerk to people, and addicted to painkillers, he's a genious when it comes to diagnosing and treating 'mysterious' illness; I'd be happy to have a doc like that for my treatment any day in real life.

Hugs to all.
:wink2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hmn, I stopped watching ER after they screened an episode where the Lupus patient died - it was whilst I was in hospital, 2 days after being diagnosed. I had several friends and family members freak out and rush to see me - all a bit awkward and uncomfortable really.

Shame it has become a bit of an 'in joke' on House to mention it practically every episode without actually explaining in some way what it is or at least have one 'real' example of the illness. I would however like one of the t-shirts that have been produced that quote 'It could be Lupus'. I'd like to add to the back 'Doh, yeah that'll be what it is!'

Amanda

1 - 10 of 10 Posts