The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got home from spending 7+ hours at emergency. I was generally not feeling well and was afraid that I was getting fluid on my lung again. Turns out I have diabetes. My blood sugar was 26, which I guess is pretty high. There was talk whether it could be caused from Lupus or Prednisone. Has anyone else experienced this? How are you coping? I guess it will just take time to work this out too. Because of the blood sugar levels, they figure that this is permanent.

It never ends does it?

Nutty

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks audigg1 and Joan,

Yes, I am feeling pretty crappy. I feel like my head is going to blow off. They are starting me on metformin for now as it doesn't interact with coumadin. With all the drugs I'm on, they have to be careful what they give me.

It's pretty overwhelming right now, but I'm sure I will adjust to this too. I'm not the most organized person and diabetes seems like something you have to be right on top of all the time; not my strength.

Thanks again for you support.

Nutty

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jen and Jirel,

I was responding to your post yesterday Jen and I had an "episode". I was dizzy, weak, nauseous and couldn't talk properly. Ended up going out by ambulance. Turns out I had a hypoglycemic reaction, even though my sugars were still high (8.9-11.4). I started on insulin a couple of days ago and it brought my sugars down fast. They were in the 20's, so my body reacted as if I were hypoglycemic. I don't want to ever go through that again. I still have aheadach and a little weak, but am generally feeling better. Also, it turned out that I was starving myself and limited the carbs way too much. I finally had an appointment today with the Endocrinologist and a nurse and dietician that specialize in Diabetes. I feel a little more comfortable today about things. At least. I have information now that I didn't have before, especially about the diet. I am on on 30/70 mix of insulin, so I have to be extremely strict about my diet. The benefit is two needles a day instead of 5. So, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Nutty

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Sage Hen and Alwin for your posts. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Sage Hen as well. There is SO much to learn, but I think it is manageable. My husband is wonderful and taking excellent care of me right now. As I'm feeling better, I need to take over and be responsible for myself. I'm just still not myself, so I don't want to make any mistakes. My sugars are still going up over 20 in the evenings. They'll most likely adjust my insulin on Monday.

You're right Alwin. They did a test and said I've had it for months. I'm guessing around September because I haven't been feeling right for a while. But you can't run away....we need you around here.

Thanks again everyone.

Nutty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.