The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is corie, im a 17 year old female with brain lupus.
Does any one know if omega 3-6-9 fish old helps in any way, it just i was one told it did.
I also have epilepsy as a side effect of lupus, any info on how i could improve my life with diets or anything like that.

Thank you
Corie :)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Corie :)

I'm afraid I don't have any answers to your questions but we met in chat and I just wanted to welcome you again.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Corie and welcome to the site!

Sorry, but like Katharine I have no knowledge on the pro's and con's of taking Omega 3-6-9 fish oils and their benefits (if any) for helping a connective tissue disease.

Perhaps someone with knowledge will be along to give you advice!

Take care,

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

As far as I know there is some evidence that omega oils are indeed beneficial both for their action on the brain and also in helping with joint pain. I don't know to what extent their benefits have been clinically "proven" nor if it has been tested for people with CNS lupus.

This is just me but I have mixed feelings about it mainly for "financial" reasons which may sound silly... but the other day my chemist was talking to me about it and my problem is that this disease has already cost me a lot for several reasons and sometimes there are choices to be made. A lot of the meds I take aren't reimbursed and the same goes for the vitamins such as D, B complex and the calcium supplements.

I don't mean to sound negative here and that really is just my opinion. I hope others can bring more useful information :)

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi and welcome,

It depends on exactly what your diagnosed problems with Lupus are, e.g. do you have antiphospholipid syndrome etc. It also depends on what your current meds are. It's something each and every one of us needs to talk to our docs about.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hello Cori and welcome.

I can not answer your question but wanted to suggest you buy The Lupus Book by Dr. Daniel Wallace, 3rd edition. It is a must have for newly diagnosed people and it is written in a way that everyone can understand it.

I am sorry about your diagnosis, especially as your so young but I am happy you found this site. This group of people are supportive, knowledgeable and have been a god send to me.

Hope to meet up with you in the chat room sometime. Good luck to you and keep your chin up.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Corie,

Omega 3 is supposed to help combat inflammation and many scientific studies have verified its benefits to some extent, especially for people with diseases caused by inflammation of the brain or vascular system.

Ideally, for good health and to combat inflammation, the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids in the diet should be no higher than 4:1. If you consume adequate amounts of low fat protein daily, you're getting all the omega 6 fatty acids you need and omega 6 doesn't need to be and shouldn't be supplemented. Only omega 3 in the form of cold-water fish such as sardines, salmon (preferably wild caught) and/or purified fish oils is needed in the diet to balance out the omega 6 unless you're a vegetarian or you eat unhealthy foods regularly (i.e. highly processed food.)

It is expensive to supplement your diet with quality omega 3 essential fatty acids but if you can afford it, you might as well try to do it. Sardines and anchovies are fairly cheap and are low on the food chain so should contain little or no mercury or other toxins relative to large cold-water fish higher on the food chain. I have learned to love sardines on my salads and with crackers --- adding red pepper and other spices, mixed in olive oil, helps.

Barb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Lily, thank you.
I will have to ask my mum about antiphospholipid, im not sure what that means, the meds are, prednisoone, ibuprofen, lamotrigine, azathioprine, also lots of diffrent ones in the past.
Cheers
Corie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Barb g .
That was very useful, i have seen omega 3 oils very cheap though prob not the right stuff.
unfortunately i hate fish :).
Also i do eat fatty foods at the moment, mum and dad don't like it, but its just a phase at moment :)
Cheers
Corie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi lesly, that looks like a long list is that what is wrong with you, very sorry to hear that
Thank you will catch you in the chat room sometime.
Cheers
Corie.

Thank all for reply's x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Corie,

Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) is also called Hughe's syndrome or "sticky blood". It is a blood clotting disorder than can exist by itself or with lupus. Around 30% of lupus sufferers are said to also have APS. It can cause symptoms such as TIA's, headaches, blood clots leading to DVTs and also problems in pregnancy. It is usually relatively easily treated, sometimes simply with one baby aspirin a day.

Katharine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Kathrine,
Thanks, i what is TIA'S and DVT'S, i was told early on that i would have problems with pregnancy :-(....I have been tested for that sticky blood thing and it was ok, thats one good thing at least :). cheers
P.s if i ever repeat anything im sorry i have bad memory loss
Corie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's good if you've already been tested :)

TIA is "transient ischaemic attack" and DVT is "Deep Vein Thrombosis"

Don't worry about memory loss, I'm turning it into an Olympic sport too :lol:

Katharine

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Corie,
I have heard the same thing about the fish oil but personally I just can't do it. I hate fish and anything that is fish related. It does something to my stomache and I am sick for so long. Please remember that all of this is advise and each of us react differently to things. It can not hurt you to try it and see how things go for you. I would ask the doctor first and if you get the go ahead give it a try.

You have to find what works best for you. It is hard when it is the same name that we all have but that not all the meds or diets work for all of us. Life would be so much easier with a cure or one med we can all take that makes us, us again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.