The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends

I have not been around for some time, but I do think of you often. I am wondering if anyone has:

1. Anyone had a problem with disintegrating disks autoimmune related? I suddenly have at least 5 herniated disks ranging from the neck to the tailbone.

2. Anyone taken Lyrica for shooting pains down the legs from herniated disks?

My neurologist sent me home today with Lyrica starting at 75mg per day and increasing weekly for six weeks. I am reading the side effects, and I cannot afford to be sleepy on drugs....having a garden wedding at my house a week from Saturday. The pain is awful, but wedding success is priority #1 right now. I am in physical therapy now....traction, heat, elec, deep muscle massage.....killer pain. I can't say it has improved my condition yet at all.

At the same time, lupus symptoms creeping in again...particularly dropping O2 saturation, joint pain, pretty pink facial rash, feeling run down, losing my mind. Haven't had labs since January so don't know how I am doing with that.

Would like to know about the bad disks especially. My bone density is great, don't have particular compression problems, not dehydrated, and not taking any lupus drugs right now. Confounding.

Thanks, Fran

·
Registered
37 Posts
mumsy613 i am sorry to hear about all of your distress. i have been on lyrica 150mg for about 1 or 2 yrs after being on neurotin. i really dont believe it helps much with my pain although i do that it at night because i also suffer from cns type symptoms. been on steroids since june 04 when diagnosed and bd tests are reflecting that. do have severe pain along the spine between shoulder blades that lyrica and lots of flexeril/valium/vicodian dont do a bloomin thing for. icy hot or simular cream at least will numb the pain somewhat. pain was soooo bad considered going back on anti-depress because of it. i went to bikram yoga, the one in the hot room, and it really made a difference. so much that i stopped everything except the lyrica and icy hot. i found that the yoga helps decompress my spine and joints along with my mind. you might see if that helps. maybe you will get your blood work back to let you know where you are at and what is going on is just one of those 'we have to go through a few bad days to get to the good ones'. do try and rest and the hardest thing to remember to do is ask for help:)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Fran,

I have been taking Neurontin (an older seizure med used for some types of pain including Fibromyalgia) for 5 years now and I argue with anyone wanting to tinker with my dose. I started at a dose and increased weekly for 5 weeks or so. I was super groggy day one and then less and less as the week went by, super groggy on day one of higher dose and so on and so forth. I know for me the pain control is wonderful. Whether it is the right medication for your kind of pain no-one knows until you try it.

When do you see your rheumy again? I would be very concerned about some of your symptoms especially the Oxygen Saturation rate.

Let us know how things go.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dear Mumsy:

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear of your recent disc related issues and pain you are experiencing. Geez. In answer to your question no. 1, yes. I was recently dx'd w/Osteoperosis and have disc degeneration. Feel free to "pm" me, if you care to chat. My docs believe that my probs are related to me being on prednisone for so many years. Let us know what's going on with you. And, I hope the Lyrica works!! Wishing you pain free days ahead, my dear. Hugs.

Love -- SusieBB

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your kind responses. I have stared at this bottle of Lyrica, and decided that there will be a long hot summer here in the desert to give it a try. I was given it once before briefly while tapering off pred. For some reason it was switched to Cymbalta....then Drs gave up on the taper past 5mg and set the pred at 7.5 forevermore. My brain was so out of kilter then, I don't remember what Lyrica was like or why the change. Actually, the only reason I remember either of these drugs is because outdated bottles are still in the closet! Need to clean house.

I am sending a note (email) to my rheum in the morning. I just had an 80mg jolt of pred last month....haze cleared out of the brain and O2 sat went up to 99. Back down to 95 yesterday...I can feel it sinking. Time to do something else.....another round of Rituxan, I think. That works well for the lung inflammation...and everything else except the CNS (so far).

The good news is that since starting Rituxan in May 95, once past the tapers I have been off all the meds....everything....except a couple of short term bursts of pred. I've lost a bunch of cushingoid weight and my face looks human again. Life could be worse! For me.....I rank Rituxan right up there with Kool-Aid!

Take good care of yourselves....I think I will stick around here as time permits. I find that I miss you all.

Fran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts