The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Has anyone got any ideas for any other forms of relief?

I took two of my boys to their Easter Egg Rolling event for Cub Scouts tonight. It was a short walk (5 minutes) to the park, stayed to watch and then walked home!

My knees have now deep throbbing pain spreading upwards to thighs, it is so bad I'm having to deep breath!

I have just taken parecetamol and just rubbed some Algesal (local analgesic cream) on the main area and am hopping that this will work (never tried it before)!!!

NSAID's - I can't take due to severe gastro reactions!

Take care!

Lesley

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
((((((Lesley))))))

That sounds truly awful. Do you have wheat bags or anything of the like? Maybe even a hot water bottle. My pain was muscle and tissue related rather than the joints but heat helped me.

I'm sure someone else will be along soon with some better suggestions. Sending you gentle hugs and hope you feel better soon. :hugbetter:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pam, thanks for the suggestions!

I have hunted out my hot water bottle and its now on my knees! I don't have wheat bags ( what on earth are they!!).

The cream does seem to have an effect at the moment, so pain must be muscular or tissue related. I used the same cream on my hands earlier but it did not work (pains must be in my bones). I can't seem to tell where my pains come from!

My brain is really not working at present or else I probably would have thought to use a hot water bottle myself. I very nearly overdosed on my Plaq., but suddenly realised the tablets were not my Paracetamols. I'm not sure what a 800mg dose would do!

Anyway I'm off to bed and hope to get to sleep before pains re-start!

Thanks again for your suggestion - hope you are well at present!

Love & hugs,
Lesley

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Lesley

Wheat bags can be bought at your pharmacy. Basically there are like a slim bendy cushion that you heat up in the microwave and place on the sore area.

A quick home remedy that I use is to cut the leg off a pair of tights and pour dried rice into it and tie it off. Stick this in the microwave for a minute or two (check after a minute to make sure its not too hot!) and place this on the sore area. They are great, cheap and can be used again and again so long as you dont let them get wet - otherwise the rice will cook in the microwave.

I sure hope that knee pain settles down for you and you got some sleep:hugbetter:

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sometimes ice packs work better for me; it depends on if the pain is muscular or more in the joints/connective tissue. Hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow and be back to normal ;)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts Pam, Joan and Maia!

I did manage to get off to sleep quickly for a change, and slept extremely well. I never get a chance to rest in the day as too much going on with the kids, so it normally takes forever to relax enough for sleep to overcome me, once there I rarely wake up until 7.30am, thankfully (my husband then has to wake me up)!

Today the pains have gone and are just left with the everyday ones that never seem to dissapear, so thats manageable/okay!

I think a hectic week along with Friday being extremely hot for this time of year perhaps led to the extra symptoms. My hands also keep swelling, going red and are very stiff with protruding veins in the heat (feel like they did during my pregnancies), most of the time I have frozen/cold grey coloured hands. I did look in the mirror (rare these days) before bed and noticed sunburn on my hairline and extra rashes on top of the other rashes on my neck an v-line - these are back to normal redness today!\

Hope you all have lovely weekends!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Leslie,

I also suffer from extreme knee pains. I've started Humira (prescription injection) and it has helped. There are side effects, but it has seemed to ease my pain.

Take care,

Susan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts