TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everyone,

Yes, I may indeed be a fraud as I have not been diagnosed with lupus - should I say 'as yet'. I have been told an ANA test is positive and indicative of lupus. More blood tests have been sent off. I must admit that I was so surprised;that this was so unexpected, I forgot to ask the doctor the pertinent questions so this site has been invaluable. Thank you.

I see from the list of symptoms that I could fit the lupus bill. I have thought many were the consequences of ageing (I'm 64yrs) or of my Graves disease and/or treatment or even of a sensory neuropathy diagnosed some 25 years ago. It's difficult to know, isn't it?

Recently, a fibrous lump has been found in my axilla/breast region. Is there any connection with lupus and this sort of thing?

Oh, and thank you for the photograph hint. I told my doctor, no, I didn't get a rash on my face and then, later, googled up some photos and found one that looks suspiciously like my often red face. In fact, I even found a photo of 'blushing' Bren so I am going to print it out to show whoever might need to be shown as the investigations continue.

Best wishes to you all,
Bren

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Bren,
Well you don't sound like a fraud to me... I hope you get to the bottom of this diagnosis. I was just diagnosed with MCTD in August, so I can relate to the 'unexpected' feeling... I went to my GP with sore knees, thought I had bursistis. I had felt awful for a couple years with a list of what seemed like unrelated symptoms, benign when they were happening infrequently ...
I actually feel a little better knowing I'm not 'crazy' and everything makes sense now.
This is a nice site, supportive and very informative. It is one of many 'boards' I frequent lately trying to figure all of this out... I do know one thing for sure now... and that is we are not alone... I'm amazed at the number of people with autoimmune diseases... its kinda scary... :eek:
Good luck to you on this journey. :luck:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello Brenda
Welcome to the sight.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a fraud at the sight.
As you look over the sight you will see we have many areas to read posts including Not Diagnosed Yet.
We also have people who are family of Lupus Patients like me, Friends of patients and some who are just interested in learning more.

We welcome all. The only way I can think of that we may call anyone a fraud would be if you came on for the purpose of selling something to us and had no real interest or concern with Lupus what so ever.

So welcome, come on in look around and enjoy. I hope we can be of some help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

Thank you for the rapid and very warm welcome to my first post.

May I also say that, having read some of the other posts, I can also relate to the brain-fog. I actually call it 'brain-fade' or say: "No brain Bren strikes again." I lose words all the time! The other day, I couldn't think of 'drawer' and ended up saying, "You know, that thing you pull out and put things in."
I've been worried about incipient Alzheimer's. Now I find this seem to be pretty common with lupus. Ho hum.

Now, I must - I presume - take myself off the Newbies forum and find out where I should be posting in future.

Oh, and to tell you a little more about myself: I am London bred, Kent (Downham, Bromley) raised and have lived in Australia for 34 years. We live on 36 acres and run a few cows and sheep and have far too many venomous snakes. I am, indeed, very fortunate. Well, except for those long wigglies.
Bren

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Bren and welcome to the site:)

Just wanted to say a big HELLO and that I'm sure you'll find this site full of help and avice along with the great people who are always there for one another.

Hope you're well:)

Mrs M

PS you are certainly not a fraud!!

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Welcome to the site. I am sure as you have already seen, many friendly people here.

Reading by itself is helpful.

Good luck with your future testing and I hope for good results.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I just joined too and your post is one of the many I'll be reading. I thought your "brain fog" part was very interesting. I have that big time but always attributed it to the MTX I take. I was hoping now that I've been switched to Imuran I'd lose the fog but maybe not. Oh boy, there's a lot to learn!

BTW, you don't sound like a fraud to me. But I'd be happy to be able to say, "You are perfectly healthy, you don't have lupus or any other dangerous disease. Get your fanny out of here! " :):rotfl: I'd like to be able to say that to everyone here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know you will all be pleased to learn my second round of tests are negative. Now, while I do understand the contradictions of ANAs and other tests, my doctor seems pretty confident that I do not have lupus. I am, of course, delighted.

This does not mean I am going to forget all about you folk who frequent this site. You have taught me just how lucky I am and also how people with multiple and severe health issues manage to face what needs to be faced with courage and fortitude. I do so wish you were all as fortunate as I am, and I wish everyone of you as well as possible.

Bren

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Bren, I hope you feel well. I will be very glad for you if it is not Lupus.
It is good that you realise negative tests do not always mean you do not have Lupus, but I am sure you have learned enough to keep this in mind.
X Lola

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congratulations! I'm truly happy for you and wish you all the best. Feel free to stop by and say "hello!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LolaLola;520746 said:
Dear Bren, I hope you feel well. I will be very glad for you if it is not Lupus.
It is good that you realise negative tests do not always mean you do not have Lupus, but I am sure you have learned enough to keep this in mind.
X Lola
Yes, Lola, I have certainly learned enough from this wonderful site to know that I must be vigilant with ongoing symptoms and monitor myself carefully. As I said, I shall visit this site often to see how you are all going.

As for the brain fog: yesterday, I couldn't remember my son-in-law's name! How scary is that?

Bren

1 - 13 of 13 Posts