The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone here knows an answer to this situation. Because of my asthma and pulmonary hypertension I have a really tough time with pain meds. They suppress my breathing and also cause my heart to "mess up" (no other way for me to explain it). I had surgery last month and have had to rely on tylenol to get me through it. I'm also having more joint/muscle pain than I've ever had. NSAIDS are causing me the same problems. I call my rhuematologists office and try to explain it to his nurse, but I think the only message he gets is I want to try another pain med. So she will call back and say they called something else in. I have a narcotic pharmacy in my house right now and I can't use any of it. Are there any pain meds that don't cause drowsiness? Or maybe ya'll can't answer that because I believe tramadol isn't suppose to is it? And it's one of the worst for me.

I'm so tired of living in constant pain. Nothing ever lets up. I don't know how people live through this. I don't even know how to cope anymore. My family is avoiding me, my friends... well I don't even have those anymore. My boyfriend is even keeping a low profile. I just don't know how much more of this I can take.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Why not ask for a referral to either a pain management clinic or a neurologist...

maybe they can do a temporary nerve block???

I don't know, I so feel for you...

I take tremadol and find no drowsiness with it, but everyone is different...I also find that it only helps about 50%.

Soft, gentle (((HUGS)))

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think pain management doctor is your best option with your unique set of circumstances. Almost all narcotic meds will have the same effect. Are you able to take a strong sleeping pill at night? Or do you not have trouble sleeping with the pain.

I'm not sure if medications like amitriptyline or Lyrica or Cymbalta would help your type of pain but it's worth a shot/asking about.

Take care and I hope you improve soon/find something that helps.

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I agree that a Pain Management Doctor is your best bet. Some of them have accupuncture as part of their services. I often get injections in area's that are painful with much success. I also suggest getting over the counter ointments and gels. Lastly call and ask your doctor to call in Lidoderm Patches unless they are contradicted with your condition. Double check the Lidoderm at www.drugdigest.org

Karen

·
Brenda
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. At my last visit I asked the dr. about the patches, but he said they were for certain pain spots, not wide spread pain. I will ask about a pain clinic and will look for gels at the pharmacy.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Christian,

I don't know how available this could be for you but have you thought about accupuncture. I get it at my local hospital and it's made a huge difference with the pain.

It doesn't work for everyone but you never know.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
christianirc,

Yes the lidoderma patches are for specific areas of pain. I was thinking if you hurt in your shoulders, hip/buttocks area and other places on the body like that, they would help with pain where they are applied. I just know for me when my pain gets really bad every little thing in my arsenal helps a little or sometimes a lot.

Karen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts