TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a very important question, but my dh brought it up after our experience several weeks ago when we were on the road and had to call 911. I was lucky my dh was with me because I was very confused and not able to communicate my thoughts. We also lucked out because I had a list of meds and my dh knew where they were. He knew my medical history. He thinks it is very important to wear a bracelet for the times I am alone if this were to happen again, which we are hoping it doesn't.:hehe:

The ? is do you wear a medic alert bracelet or necklace?
If yes, what do you have inscribed in that tiny area?

Thank You,
Becca

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Becca, Yes I wear a medic alert bracelet. I called and talked to someone at the company and told them everything that was wrong with me. They then told me what they thought would be the most important to put on the bracelet. She told me that they will see I'm wearing the bracelet and call in, then they could tell whatever medical person was taking care of me everything that was wrong with me..... Anyway, what is on mine is systemic lupus, immunosuppressed, HTN, anaphylaxis to penicillin.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have a list in a visible place a transparent window in my purse/wallet/pocket book, along with personal details & contact nos including GP. However I have been considering getting a bracelet that says where all these details are.
I always have my purse with me when I am out and I know they would look for it but it's not so obvious if something were to happen indoors, though I am sure they would rootle around.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have always wondered a bit about this question.

I am not as ill as some of you are and don't have any seizures or problems like that but it did vaguely pass my mind that if I were involved in an accident, for example, maybe they would need to know what meds we take?

I haven't done anything about it, but suppose I should and your post will now prompt me to action. I suppose it just seemed slightly over dramatic to me... I'm probably totally daft and irresponsible!

Katharine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Yes this question has been lingering in my mind for a while now. I was thinking of getting some type of identity bracelet and just engraving something on it. I havent quite made up my mind about whats the best thing to do.

Actually - maybe engraving my GP's name and cellphone number would be a good idea? Hmmmm... I must ask him about that.

I guess the thing I would be most worried about is not being able to communicate that I am on pred. If I come up with a solution I will let you know!

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I am in the same position as you Katherine, with no 'real' problems or 'serious' meds so it's as much just in case as anything else. I have been involved in a couple of other people's street emergency incidents when the emergency crew couldn't find out who the person was or whom to contact. I suppose it is unusual these days that someone would have no form of identity on them but all the same. Although I don't drive normally I do have my driving licence in my bag as basic identity proof, but it would take a good bit of finding as it's hidden in another wallet in an almost hidden zipped pocket along with my credit cards that I very rarely use. I am one of those boring people who always uses the same bag mainly because I can't cope with changing bags !

Last year I had a very bad fall on a bus when I was with the grandaughter. I was very lucky not to be knocked unconscious. She knows her own contact details including her mum's mobile, knows the emergency no. but doesn't know our phones. I am not sure if she knows our address or not but anyway she sure doesn't know what meds I take.
I also have her details on my list because I am so often out with her.

Put it like this: what is the point of not having them ? It sure won't stop an accident happening if it's going to, but I have to admit to slight superstition. I can carry a safety pin around for years in my little bits & bobs bag - the one time it's needed, it isn't there. I carried around a packet or two of sugar for years until they looked real grubby and started splitting so I chucked them. Incredibly, the very next day somebody had a diabetic incident in a classroom.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
580 Posts
acard, i think this is a very good post. i take an aspirin a day so i do think it very important to get a bracelet that will let the parametics know this and im also allergic to shell fish so for more reason i think im going to get one.

ty acard.

·
Registered
995 Posts
it is very important to wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace and the proper one. where they can call a number and have your updated file, emergency numbers and dx
I have had two serious issues where I was not able to communicate and was given medication I am allergy to.
and also if you are on pred, it is important for them to know

mine says sle.asthma,fm.and medicine allergies.
when you use the real medical alert, you can update your file on line.
I am not sure about the UK but I know medical alert is in canada and the US
the problem with the ones you ingrave yourself , is if you dx changes or you need to add things. there is no room or you keep having to buy new ones.there is a membership fee but it is not much and for me it is well worth it. if I was to get confused or not be able to communicate. they can see my bracelet and call the toll free number to have be returned to the owner :lol:
but seriously you could save you life

stay safe everyone

·
Dee
302 Posts
I wear an SOS Talisman bracelet.
they sell them near me but I bought direct from an online supplier.
The top unscrews & has a long paper in it that folds up, you can write on it all your illness's, & lets face it we need lots of room for them :rotfl:
There's room for name, address N.O.K. etc, & if you run out of room there's always room for another slip of paper to go in lol
They also do watches, necklaces even rings I think.

It's a good idea for anybody on meds to wear something like this, you just never know when the information might be needed.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Becca :hug:

Great thread! I do wear a bracelet even though I am not as ill as some members but my doc asked me to consider it. At the time I thought the same as Katharine that it was a bit over dramatic. I decided to wear it for a number of reasons - one being that anesthesia should be carefully considered if you have Lupus and what if I was unable to talk. It is recomended for those with APS.

I'd want my husband to be contacted if anything happened to me so his mobile number is on it. I'd also be worried that some drugs could be contraindicated to us.

There are so many nice and funky ones available now - mine is stainless steel due to allergy and looks like this.

Mine has my name, date of birth, ICE: in case of emergency number & systemic lupus. I'd rather have it than not have it.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a bracelet inscribed with a cadeusus and the word "open". Inside is a piece of paper with all necessary information. I wear it whenever I leave the house. So far, thank God, it has not been needed.
Douglas+

·
Jen
407 Posts
I wear a med. alert necklace and rarely take it off. I often get episodes where I'm unable to communicate and sometimes go unconcious.

Mine says Systemic Lupus, seizure type migraines and lists some meds, I list all my meds on my wallet med. card.

If I did it over again instead of listing meds I would list, "see wallet for meds" or something like that because they change over time. That is just me though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmmm.........would I need one of these as well? I don't have the lupus dx, but do have the UCTD and Fibro dx. The plan so far is to go on Plaquenil, but I don't see the dr till Thursday to find out for sure. That's just what he told me last time. Where do we get a bracelet? I've seen them at the pharmacy I use, but usually they say diabetic on them.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Jen

The main concern is to list any conditions including allergies, or medicines that might affect treatment in case you are unable to tell the doctor With lupus that would mean organ involvement, seizures and blood clotting conditions. Plaquenil is not worth listing on a bracelet in my opinion. I should think a note in your purse would suffice assuming you don't have any of the above.

UCTD doesn't mean a thing to most medics. Lupus itself doesn't mean much to many. For all practical purposes, you have ' mild' lupus with no organ involvement or complications.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wear the bracelet available from medic alert. They can be found at www.medicalert.org

My bracelet is inscribed: ASTHMA, SLE, ITP, ANEMIA, DIABETES, TAKES COUMADIN, STEROIDS. ALLERGIC PCN, SULFA & DERIVS. These were the most important points. I have a card from them that I do keep in my wallet. Somehow, I ended up with a duplicate and my husband has that.

Having information in a wallet is fine as long as the person and the wallet do not become separated. If it is a matter of "the golden hour," the emergency personel are not going to go searching for a pocketbook. If phone numbers are inscribed, they will need to be re-engraved everytime the number changes.

audi

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
If there was anything about my health that would affect treatment, I would most definitely have some emergency notification on my person but I don't have anything like that. That Talisman sounds a good idea because it is so easily altered if you change meds or diagnoses.
I will try to get one for my hubby because he has conditions and meds that medics should be alerted to.

So from my point of view and estimate of my needs, having information in my bag is quite good enough. The sort of incident that could part me from my bag is not to be imagined, and would certainly mean that my lupus and my meds were not a first consideration.

Another thing that could be useful on any notification is blood type. If you are going to make notes of a few things, you might as well note every darn thing.

Pam, I am curious about lupus affecting anesthesia choices because I have never heard of this. The only time I heard anything of the sort was a comment by my doctor when I flared after surgery that some people's lupus might react to anesthetic Or maybe he meant anybody might have some sort of mild reaction to it, I'm not sure of that. Do you have any more details or a source for that info please ?

Lupus is such a broad term it is meaningless without details of how it is affecting the person. In my experience medics always make a grim face and assume worst case scenario until I reassure them with my actual symptoms.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for your all your advice and I think dh has a a very good poin,

XXXhugsXXX
Becca

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a bracelet, mine just has my allergies and Asthma written on it, they can contact them for all the meds etc, any one will know that with my allergies and asthma no asprins or morphines etc and simple is best.

Be aware though anyone now dependent on NHS direct (uk). I was in England and in a house fire in August and if it hadn't been for my bracelet I would be DEAD. The hopsital contacted my surgery and got put through to NHS direct and they wouldnt give out my details as they were calling out of area. This was and ER, A&E, hello, like any Tom Dick or Harry wouls phone up with a story like that.

So I do advise a bracelet even if for your own peice of mind it gets you through to someone who can then get the right help to you!

These self script talismans sound good, but my main piece of advice is dont have your parents or Husband as your next of kin. If they had phoned my mother to get my info and started with, "your daughter has been airlifted out of a house fire", I dont think she would be able to give you her own details let alone think about mine. I know my ex was useless when they contacted him during an asthma attack, he was terrified and to top it off , no one could tell him where the baby was all they told him was, they had left it with someone who said they had been with me, he didnt know who I was with that day, or where really only shopping with pals.

My info in the car has my Uncle's and My son's godaparents info and they both have a full list of what i have which i gave them 3 fold for the car the house and the office so they dont have to think about it at all. I also have my medic alert bracelet. I also have a lifesaver bottle in my fridge with the relevent stickers on my front and back doors for any emergency team coming to help.

Hope this helps sorry I feel like I drone on.

Good luck

Annie x:hehe:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Clare T --

Does having fluid around my heart and lungs count as organ involvement? I also have mild regurgitation of my mitral and tricuspid valves. No one has told me why this is (fluid or regurg) or if it has to do with autoimmunity or not. I also have caliectasis and increased echogenicity of my kidneys. Again, no idea what it's from. I asked my GP and he said basically that means there is "sand" in my kidneys. ?!?!?:eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts