The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a heck of a time trying to get my medical records from my dr. I've left messages and tried calling when they're there but to no avail...

I'm getting really annoyed now. I HATE using the phone, so this is like torture for me. All I want is a copy of MY records. That's allowed isn't it?

I need to see what's gone on the past few years.... but it would appear they don't want me to...:mad:

I AM allowed my records, right?

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Simple answer, yes, you are allowed your medical records!

I don't know where you're living and what would be the appropriate channel to take this further but I would be pretty annoyed too.

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, have you tried speaking to his secretary or the practice manager? Maybe you could get further that way.

Deb

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Hi
I would try writing a short note stating that you want the records and this is your rights,. Give them say 7 days( in the note ) to send them to you ( you may have to pay for photcopies ) and that if you dont you will write to the primary care trust ( assuming you are in UK ) and I can tell you they will come then.

Putting something in writing usually works well

Pam

·
11,410 Posts
Hi there.

I looked at your past posts and found out you are living in the US.

My rhumey's nurse said to write a letter and send it to the clinic and put attention Dr's your doc's nurse. In the letter write that you would like a copy of all lab reports and doctors notes. Say the reason is you need them for your personal file of records.

I hope this helps.
Lyn

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

If the letter writing with a time limit imposed doesn't work then I would march down there and ask face to face. I found I got somewhere then :) nothing like a room full of patients waiting to get things done quickly and quietly ;)

love
Lily

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I eventually (5.30pm) received a phone message saying "all your records from inception? Well. They could be ready by Monday (lots of sighing) and would be $25"

Her tone was way off. What's wrong with asking for my records? I feel like I'm doing something illegal or subversive or something... makes me feel really bad... I bet they don't want me to go back there now... lol

A patient with knowledge is a bad patient!! ;)

·
11,410 Posts
It was probably someone in medical records that was feeling overworked.:lol:

I had a phone call when I requested mine. They had sent my records to my cardiologist a week or so earlier. She tried to get out of doing it again with me. I told her I wanted them and she was to send them to me.

Just have to stick up for yourself. :bigsmile:

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Hi Shufu -

I agree with Lily about this - if you don't get the records, I would just march down there and wait. I was weeks ringing people trying to get my records - my insurance company advised me to just go down and wait and it was the only thing that worked. Hope you have better luck though and that they are ready for you on Monday.

Nellie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Shufu,

I agree that the tone of voice was that of a unappreciative woman who now needs to do some work and is not a bit happy about it. You are allowed, and entitled to any of your personal records. That is YOUR RIGHT!!!

Hope you get them soon.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi everyone,
I phoned the Rhuemie i saw and asked for my test results to be posted to me, all i got was you can pick them up, when told i live 3-4 hours away, well we don't send them get copies from your family Dr.
What was that, ignorant or what!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am a healthcare worker in the US and Yes, you absolutely have a right to your Medical Records.

You do need to put the request in writing with your signature, allow adequate time for the medical records staff to locate, copy and fax/send the records to you. So if you are only asking for 1 or 2 pages the response will be quicker than if you are asking for your entire record which can be extensive and quite time consuming. You also will be responsible to pay a fee for staff time/copying/paper/equipment. They usually waive it if it is only a copy of a lab report/consultation but will certainly ask for a fee if they have to copy an entire record.

The healthcare provider is also entitled to request you come in to go over any records that he/she feels you might need further explainations on, before giving you copies and this would be an additional office visit, but they rarely do that unless it was a recent visit/testing that you have not had the follow-up visit yet.

Also notes from psychiatrists/psychologists/counselors fall under different restrictions and may be protected/not released for certain reasons (Suicidal or unstable patient - for patient safety etc....)

You need to go through the provider's office where you recieved the visit for their records (ie a Cardiologist consult you would have to get from the Cardiologists office, not you primary doctor. Hospitalization records you have to go through the hospital, not your primary doctor.)

Personally, I always fax a written request for a copy of my labs/tests/consults once I hear the results from the doctor/nurse and it has not been an issue since requesting them this way. I don't ask for the doctors notes because I have a good relationship with my doctor and trust that she communicates honestly with me. She always answers my questions and will go into more detail if I ask or let her know I want more information. I don't want to hurt that relationship by always asking for her notes because she might feel I am looking for fault or something and put her on the defensive- I am fortunate that she takes time to answer my questions and further explain things when I ask. I know not all doctors are good like that.

I hope you get the information you need, but it might be worth sitting down and writing out what it is you are looking for/wanting answers for and try talking more to your doctor. You afterall are paying for their expertise and also have a right to have things explained to you.

good luck!

Nancy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks Nancy. That's amazing. I wonder if I upset them by asking? The truth is I do doubt my doctor. A lot. He never diagnoses me with anything, never tells me numbers (for lab results... just says things like "elevated but nothing serious" or "nothing miraculous") So, I don't know if something is wrong and he's just not seeing it, or whether it really IS nothing. My doctors office is small. I don't think there's anyone but him and his wife--who is the nurse/receptionist. He's been good up til recently--but then it's really only been over the past few years I've had problems myself... and he's been fairly useless. I don't have insurance at the moment, and whenever I can get insurance reinstated, I want to look for a new doctor. One perhaps with more understanding of autoimmune issues... or more understanding of someone with chronic (as of yet undiagnosed) medical problems. I am tired of being dismissed and belittled. I can't HELP that HE doesn't know what's wrong--that's his job, isn't it? To find out?--instead he dismisses me with some painkillers and a "well, I'm sure it's not serious". No more blood tests, or exams for me.

For example, the last time I went, he said that he was going to "make up a disorder" to fit my symptoms, har har har. Yeah. Funny. :mad:

I guess I'm worried that I've upset them (I don't like upsetting people), but at the same time, I am getting to the point where I feel I NEED to know what's gone on medically with me in the past. The insurance company we tried to sign up with diagnosed me with ALL SORTs of things, including Migraines, Connective Tissue Disorder, Idiopathic Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy, and Convulsions.

I found that really interesting, since my doctor won't diagnose me with ANYTHING and that's when I started to wonder really about what was in my notes. I feel like I'm getting short changed, shuffled under the rug. Something. I need better help, I need a different doctor...

I need some kind of ... something... and I'm hoping these notes will be at least a start to figuring out what's going on.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hello again,

I requested medical records some 5 years ago and found that the doctor put in the notes that I elaborate and exaggerate everything since my blood work did not match my symptoms. Can you imagine my fury when I read that he wrote this about me. Needless to say I made a in person trip to his office once the bloods started to show the proof I needed to put in front of this idiots face and demand a apology.

If you could have saw the look on his face..................priceless!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Shufu,

Look at copies of your bills, the doctor has to put the diagnosis code for the insurance company on there. That is probably where the insurance company came up with the diagnoses, they can't diagnose you themselves, it has to be what the doctor puts on the bill. then you could start by asking him about those diagnoses.

Nancy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy moly! I had no idea that's where the insurance company got their information. Maybe THAT'S why they're not too happy about giving me the notes... maybe he did diagnose me with something, but didn't tell ME that.

I'm not sure if I have any bills handy. The last time I went was a while ago (no insurance = hefty pay out to see him). Now I'm really curious though... Maybe my husband has them....

It would seem, that my doctor has either been lying to me or to the insurance company... and I intend to find out which one!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Shufu,

Here at least a doctor has to put a reason for blood and other tests in his request. If they are investigating SLE or a similar disease it may well have that as the reason. It doesn't mean you have been diagnosed with it, just that they suspect it as a possible cause.

love
Lily

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
The system here is the same as Lily's. The possible diagnosis must be listed. The insurance companies require it to keep down unnecessary testing. In my search for a diagnosis very few turned out positive.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.