The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm grateful for my medicare D prescription coverage. But its that time of year that scares me to death... I've exhausted my 'benefits' of $2400, and find myself in the 'gap' of coming up with all 'cash' for my meds...$3000+ to move out of this GAP, I take 12 meds and insulin :eek:
In the past, I've been lucky to get samples but FDA is cracking down on that. (long story) I did the math for this month and meds will be about $1500for 'maintenance' nothing more. I had to give up Crestor, for cholesterol because of no sample avail and its 340 a month.. Too bad, it brought my cholesterol down from 240 to 160 in 6 months.. I just keep prograstinating, but I'm going to be in trouble at the end of the month...

I've applied for 2 local prescription assistance programs... they have been 'maxed' out for weeks... The pharmaceutical companies say they have programs but you don't qualify if you have Med D coverage.. I've been disabled from other conditions for 3 years, SS states "I don't qualify for extra help"... My anxiety is through the roof... I'm starting to consider which meds I can go without... but all are important right now..
Is this effecting anyone else ?? I don't know what to do...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

I would have been in same bind but there is a Program in my State Called PAAD. I found out about it through the department of aging for my State (NJ) was only 47 at that time. I would visit social services and sign up to see everyone you can plus listen to other people when you are down there (meaning others on programs). They are the ones that know the ropes.

The reason I am saying this is because in my area (even though they are all in same building) they have no clue what other hand is doing.

There are also other sources that can help you with money. One (can't rember full name) St. Vincents of something helped me out with a 1000.

Charity Care at some hospitals cover some meds.

I got my mother on a special insurance that covers the bulk of prescriptions and is only 25 dollars per month.

I know it is hard to do all this research when you are sick.

I would start out with your states web site. And just keep plugging. I wish I had. Also tell all docs of your situation. They might be able to help you with samples. If they don't have them instock some will even go as far as requesting them next time sales rep is in.
Spent all my saving and retirement on drugs. Had no coverage for meds at all.

Elaine

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Elaine.
Your post is very helpful... I was granted charity care in July, hospital specific, but they are picking up the balance after medicare pays... I'm so grateful. I would not have diagnosis because I was putting off going to doctors because the medicare balances were piling up...

I ran out of luck with samples because my GP was forced to stop giving out samples of any kind due to new FDA regulations (FDA is requires a ton of paperwork now, they want a paper trail of every pill in case of recalls etc, and a spot audit of any kind and the docs could be sued) the office couldn't handle the extra load and just said 'no more' ... :(
I've exhuasted my savings, small CD's and retirement also.
I will continue to pursue this when my energy picks up..
Thank you for the information... I'll keep at it... and try to get out of the denial cycle..

·
Registered
65 Posts
im not sure if im allowed to do this but before i was qualified and even now on occassions i use my AAA prescription discount card. this is no joke. if you join up with AAA then you automatically qualify for the discount card. when i was on arava as anyone knows is almost 400.00 just for 1 month supply. AAA discount saved me 326.00 per month. their discounts work anywhere from 10-80% off meds. this saved me. and like many people they dont really know about this. so i stay safe in any vehicle, save money on dinning out, shoes from payless, and massive other places and am able to take my meds. if i had not by chance come upon it i would not have been able to take my meds when i had no insurance.
pearl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts