The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

NSAIDS are certainly NOT an alternative to proper treatment. If you do have lupus or another auto-immune disease you need "disease modifying" medication which you can certainly not get OTC.

In addition ibuprofen is not usually recommended for use in lupus patients as it can have a bad effect on kidneys which can already be affected by the disease. My rheumy won't prescribe ibuprofen at all for me (even though I found one type very effective when a little extra help was needed). Some people do use it but obviously that has to be agreed by the doc.

We have to remember that no OTC meds will replace proper treatment and that lupus is potentially very serious and needs proper treatment. The first baseline treatment for lupus is a med that is far less dangerous than many OTC meds.

I do agree that letting inflammation gain a hold is definitely not a good idea and that illustrates all the more the need for a good (and supportive GP) as well as that rheumy referral.

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
P.S. Also please remember that we can only tell you what we have learned by personal experience and can certainly not ever replace medical advice. Your specific questions about dosage etc. would be specific to you as an individual based on your medical history and many other factors. You need those docs onboard!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.