TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Is anyone on meds for depression? And if so, what has your doctor prescribed for you. This is my new hurdle for the week.

Thanks, everyone. Hope your day was an "un-lupie" day.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am on effexor, and I can't remember who rx-ed it in the first place. I get scripts from whatever doc I am happening to see next - most likely my neuropsychiatrist originally put me on it originally. But, so long as whoever puts you on it screens you for depression then that should be ok - gp's or equivalents often dx and treat depression very successfully.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
521 Posts
I take cymbalta. It works for depression and for fibromyalgia

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

I have been on different meds for depression, for years..I am on Cymbalta, and it has helped my Fibromylagia pain a lot. I take Neurontin, for nerve pain, but it also has an effect on mood, so it has a positive effect on my mood also.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi,

I have been on Effexor XR for almost 5 years now. It was my GP that originally prescribed it for me and my Rheumy has been the prescribing doctor for several years now. I also take Nortryptaline which is a trycyclic anti-depressant it is mainly to help me reach the deep stages of sleep. I forget what dose is necessary before it has an effect on depression.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
995 Posts
I took zoloft for two years , now I have been on celexa for two and I find it works well. my gp started it and now I get whomever I am seeing to refull it.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I am on Amptripyline and Paroxetine, both have helped so much. Sheila xox :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I take nortryptaline, mainly to block pain due to back problems, also helps me sleep. 50mg at bedtime, and 25mg as needed up to three times daily.

i have script to take more on days with increased pain or during my period as the swelling pushes more on the nerves in my lower back and groin. I have tried some of the others but they make me too mentally foggy and i hate that! Lisa

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Precious85 :wavey:

I take fluoxitine also known as prozac, i have taken this for 2 years now and it seems to help alot. I hope you manage to find something that helps with your depression, its a lonely and sad place to be when you are suffering and these days there are no need to suffer.

Take care & Good luck :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
647 Posts
There are so many new drugs out there for depression, that I feel you really need a professional to sort out what will work the best for you, with the least amount of interaction with your lupus meds.

I know many physicians prescribe anti depressants these days, but I don't think they really are trained to find the right one for their patients - there's alot of trial and error, at least that was my experience. :(

I now let a psychiatrist prescribe my meds, and have had no further problems with side effects - he took the time to try different doses very slowly until we got it just right. I take 400mg wellbutrin, and 60mg celexa.

The psychiatrist also prescribes meds to help me with prednisone psychosis when my dosage gets way up there. He's now just another medical doctor that I see on occasion, we don't do any therapy.

I would really recommend going through a mental health professional instead of the general practictioner. These drugs are really tricky, and our brains get muddled enough with lupus! :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hello,
I agree 100% with thbunny-you should see a psychiatrist to prescribe the perfect dose and cocktail of meds. Anti-depressants are very serious stuff and you just don't want anyone giving them to you. You don't need to have therapy if that is something you don't need.
It is like having your rheumy prescribe birth control pills-you know that is not an area they are up on the latest and greatest bc pills. It works the same with anti-depressants.

Good Luck,
Becca

1 - 12 of 12 Posts