The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have finally been diagnosed with ro lupus but still waiting to see a rheumy.

I've just done a pain rehab course and received a good telling off for not taking meds to control my condition - I also suffer from hypothyroidism, epilepsy and spinal arthritis and take a cocktail of drugs already plaquenil, epilim and thyroxine.

Anyway my question: my GP put me on gabapentin yesterday to control muscle spasms and hopefully paresthesia. However, she didn't want to prescribe it - she wanted to give me amitriptaline but thankfully couldn't because of interaction with my anti-convulsants. It did also come up that gabapentin interacts with plaquenil - but she had no idea why so prescribed it. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Sammy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

You seem to have a very proactive GP - it is highly unusual to have a GP competent and willing to diagnose and treat lupus !

I am surprised to read about a Plaquenil and gabapentin interaction because I could swear that many people here are on that combination. Also I have never read of Plaquenil interacting with any other meds or rather I hadn't until I accidentally came across a list the other day which I failed to bookmark, grrrrrrrrrr at self.
I did read through it and thought none of the meds mentioned are ones people with lupus typically take
Lola's idea of asking your pharmacist is a good one. It will be interesting to know what he says.
I was surprised when I was on an anti smoking programme that I couldn't take wellbutrin because it can raise seizure thresholds when taken with anti malarials. Or rather, the anti malarials can raise seizure thresholds because they stimulate the central nervous system, depending on individual sensitivity. So we read that they should be used with caution in people with epilepsy just in case. The practice nurse looked up possible interactions on the PC - very efficient !

The drug manufacturers mention every single conceivable possible and reported adverse event even when the full circumstances aren't known.
This is to cover themselves for liability. It is possible that there was only one instance of a possible interaction between Plaquenil and gabapentin during a study or from one patient.

I'm supposed to have Ro positive lupus too, that is lupus without ANA antibodies in case anybody is wondering what that means. About half of those diagnosed with lupus who don't have the ANA antibodies have the anti Ro antibodies. That's 2.5% or 1.5% depending on the source. Do you have any skin problems ?

Bye for now

Clare

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

I didn't think of asking the pharmacist - but will do next time I go and let you know what they say... I did try googling it but didn't find anything. I had to change GPs to get any sort of treatment. I was diagnosed with discoid lupus about 15 years ago, but given no advice at all - sound familiar?

Claire - yes I do have problems with my skin - I can't go outside or under fluorescent lights - even with SPF 50 on my skin gets really badly burnt and horribly lumpy. My aversion to lights is so bad that I can't work at the moment - but on the plus side it's giving me the chance to re-train and got me out of job that paid well, but I hated!

LolaLola - I would recommend pain rehab to anyone. It hasn't got rid of the pain but has taught me to recognise when something different is occuring and how to manage my day.

Thanks
Sammy

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Sammy,

I wanted to respond on the Plaquenil vs Gabapentin/Neurontin issue. When I use the www.drugdigest.org interaction checker it has never listed an interaction between the 2 drugs. I have been on both drugs for almost 5 years now and I am not alone on this site. There are probably dozens of really active members that take both medications, especially those of us with Fibromyalgia and Lupus.

I am sorry you cant take the amitryptaline as it works well in concert with Gabapentin on nerve type pain. I take Nortryptaline which is what amitryp becomes after the liver processes it. They are trycyclic anti-depressants that help patients achieve the deeper levels of sleep where the body does the most healing, with that good quality sleep pain levels will drop.

What kinds of symptoms do you have that are lupus related? Do you have an appointment with a rheumy yet?

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have taken both drugs and more, for almost 5 years, also..

I am not sure, I would realise, if I were having an interaction..though.

Sandy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Karen - no I haven't got a rheumy appointment yet - I'm going to ask for one next week when I see my GP. I am lucky though that my GP has special interests in rheumatology and works one day a week at the local hospital.

I suffer from arthralgia, arthritis, pins and needles, muscle spasms, slurred speech, lovely crooked fingers (I keep my finger nails very long in an attempt to make them look as normal as possible), malaise, photosensitivity, chest pains, endometriosis etc. Thankfully my epilepsy is under control - and I know when I'm going to fit so just take an extra tablet as I live in the middle of nowhere and couldn't manage without a car.

I think my main problem is that I'm one of those annoying people who always smiles and laughs, even when I feel like death warmed up - so possibly I don't get taken seriously... I'm great when dealing with someone else - my hubby has just been diagnosed with cancer and I'm very pushy in getting all the information and treatment he needs, but not so great when it comes to me!

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site, it certainly seems like a mind of information and a great place to get support as none of my friends know anything about lupus and can't seem to get their heads around it :sad:

Bye for now

Sammy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts