TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone take Folic acid supplements with their methotrexate, since methotrexate kills the folic acid in your body, and folic acid does do a lot of good stuff for you?

I was contemplating asking my rheumie about that, when I see her soon?

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Kate,

I started on methotrexate in Jan of this year. My rhumey put me on folic acid when he prescribed methotrexate. I take folic acid everyday even when I take the methotrexate but only folic acid is in the morning and methotrexate is after my evening meal.

Are you on methotrexate?

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I just started Methotrexate, and am hoping that it helps the joint pain and extreme stiffness that I have been experiencing.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Kate,

Whoever started you on the Metho should have discussed the importance of Folic Acid and started you on it. Which of your docs was it?

I hope you get some good benefits with it, it has helped many here.

love
Lily

·
Registered
432 Posts
yes, i am of the understanding that folic acid should ALWAYS be prescribed with methotrexate for SLE? I have always taken it. Although I only take 5mg 24 hours after methotrexate. xxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Kate,
You don't say how high your mtx dose is. That said, folic acid is only one chemical bond from mtx and so is used up by the mtx. Thus, you should be taking it with your mtx. Depending on the dose, you may also need to take leucovorin calcium as a "rescue" from the mtx. It will stop the damage on healthy tissue which is a side line of chemo drugs. If you are at a low dose mtx, then you may not need the rescue, but the folic acid should be included. Ask your doctor to include a blood level run when you have your next visit.

As I told you before, the aches and soreness is caused by the dead inflammatory cells killed off by the mtx. Remember, inflammatory cells are rapidly dividing cells as are cancer cells. That is why the same drugs work for two different situations. Make sure you drink a lot of water and take it easy for the couple days post mtx. If you try and do too much, you can increase the stress on your body.
Sally

·
Registered
631 Posts
When I started on MTX 6 weeks ago I was also started on prescription folic acid immediately. I take the folic acid every day of the week except for the day that I take the MTX. I think different docs have different ways of prescribing the folic acid but it seems very important to have with the MTX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts