TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally due to start Methotrexate next week....had to postpone due to antibiotics. Have to take folic acid alongside, however, was just wondering whether it is still OK to take other vitamin tablets with it, eg. ferrous sulphate, biotin, MSM, multi vitamin. Just asking as I'm sure I read somewhere that some vitamin/herbal remedies can be a problem or maybe I'm imagining it!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Aggie

It's a good idea to check out any supplements with your pharmacist and doctor to see if there are possible contraindications or interactions or warnings and to be aware of possible side effects.
You are quite right - it should not be assumed that just because something is natural it is harmless either in general or for you as an individual.
After all even normal foodstuffs can have effects in certain instances - grapefruit juice should not be taken while on certain medicines and sudden large quantities of plants containing Vitam K can interact with blood thinning medicines, not to mention the obvious issue of allergies.

On line research can be useful too as an initial check or further check.
I google ( St John's Wort contraindications) for example, and look for reputable, non commercial sites, noting what each one says to get a good overall picture. rxlist has mentions of medicines and plant remedies and I think supplements too.

I hope the Methotrexate helps you

:)
Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clare.T;536731 said:
Hello Aggie

It's a good idea to check out any supplements with your pharmacist and doctor to see if there are possible contraindications or interactions or warnings and to be aware of possible side effects.
You are quite right - it should not be assumed that just because something is natural it is harmless either in general or for you as an individual.
After all even normal foodstuffs can have effects in certain instances - grapefruit juice should not be taken while on certain medicines and sudden large quantities of plants containing Vitam K can interact with blood thinning medicines, not to mention the obvious issue of allergies.

On line research can be useful too as an initial check or further check.
I google ( St John's Wort contraindications) for example, and look for reputable, non commercial sites, noting what each one says to get a good overall picture. rxlist has mentions of medicines and plant remedies and I think supplements too.

I hope the Methotrexate helps you

:)
Cheers
Clare
Thanks for the advice Clare. Just wondered whether I was being a bit over cautious.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Aggie,
Having been on methotrexate for 17 years, I recommend you talk to your doctor about the combo of vitamins and mtx. Another option would be to your pharmacist. You are right to continue folic acid with the mtx.

I found it worked best for me, to have compazine/nausea med, and lomotil/gi med, on hand. That way, when I needed it, I didn't have to go to the pharmacy about 7 miles away. I live in a rural area.

Allow yourself at least two days after to deal with the reactions you may, not always, but may have. You didn't say if you were going to get the mtx via pills or injection. I found that I got more benefit of the mtx via injection than pills.
If I can help answer any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Sally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts