TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something my doctor never told me and was just wondering because my dose has been upped. Do you take the tablets all at the same time or space them out during the day?.....or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I currently take all of my pills together but may have to switch to break them up to lesson the side effects but I currently take all of the pills together.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I take 20 mgms. all in one dose. Eating something substantial first is a big help.
I found side effects went completely after 2-3 months.
x Lola

·
Registered
594 Posts
Me too, I take 20mgs and take it all together in the AM and my side effects are not so noticeable after 7 mths, I still feel a bit slow though for the first couple of days and cold sensitive and slight nausea still but nothing too bad.

Cassie :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cad;541209 said:
Me too, I take 20mgs and take it all together in the AM and my side effects are not so noticeable after 7 mths, I still feel a bit slow though for the first couple of days and cold sensitive and slight nausea still but nothing too bad.

Cassie :)
Thanks for the advice! :)

·
11,405 Posts
I take all 6 pills (15mg) right after my evening meal.
I haven't experienced any side effects at all. I just make sure I have eaten a good meal.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only take 7.5 mgs in one tablet. I take mine right after breakfast on Tuesday mornings to help with the nausea. I notice the nausea later in the day, and slightly on the next day. I do make sure I am extremely well hydrated on Mondays before I take it on Tuesday and drink extra fluids on Tues and Wed. I try to limit my coffee, tea, and sodas on those days also. I make sure I nibble every 2 hours on some crackers or something because I am type 1 diabetic and so far it all seems to work well for me.

I've only been on it for 4 weeks tho, so it could change later.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MamaLaiste;541410 said:
I only take 7.5 mgs in one tablet. I take mine right after breakfast on Tuesday mornings to help with the nausea. I notice the nausea later in the day, and slightly on the next day. I do make sure I am extremely well hydrated on Mondays before I take it on Tuesday and drink extra fluids on Tues and Wed. I try to limit my coffee, tea, and sodas on those days also. I make sure I nibble every 2 hours on some crackers or something because I am type 1 diabetic and so far it all seems to work well for me.

I've only been on it for 4 weeks tho, so it could change later.
That's the dose I'm on. I'm currently spacing the tablets, however, it seems I can take them in one hit.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Aggie I wonder if you are also taking folic acid which is supposed to lessen some of the side effects. Some people find the injections are preferable.

Good Luck :)

Clare

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clare.T;541470 said:
Aggie I wonder if you are also taking folic acid which is supposed to lessen some of the side effects. Some people find the injections are preferable.

Good Luck :)

Clare
Hi Clare. I'm taking the folic acid the day after the methotrexate. Still getting side effects but I shall endure! I've also had another bout of hair loss (short ones from my crown) which I know is from the roots rather than breakage. Dr D Cruz still thinks it is due to lupus rather than the medication and hopefully the methotrexate will eventually get a hold on things. Haven't got much more to lose though! :sad: Very worrying indeed. Hubby has had to persuade me to carry on with things. Maybe it needs to get worse before it gets better? :shrug:x

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Aggie,
My rhumey has me take folic acid everyday.

Maybe a question to ask your doctor how often to take folic acid?

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
keebler;541565 said:
Hi Aggie,
My rhumey has me take folic acid everyday.

Maybe a question to ask your doctor how often to take folic acid?

Love,
Lyn
Thanks Lyn. Will do. x

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Aggie, I have only been on the methotrexate for approx 7 weeks now , I have been taking the six tablets (15mg) after my evening meal ,I also have folic acid 5mg which I take one tablet the night before taking the mxt and one the night after as instructed by my rhuemie, this seems to work and I have only slight nausea for one day , the rest of the week I feel great.
Good luck

Ellen xxxx:luck:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hiya,

I have found the very best time to take mtx for me is at bed time, that way I sleep though most of the side effects...good luck,
Ellie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts