The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jen
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugg... I just wrote my story and then accidentally deleted the post so instead of typing it again here is what my main question is...

If you take methotrexate how does it help you and what are the side effects you experience.

I've looked through some old posts but would like some additional info.

Doc wants me to consider starting this over imuran due to imuran side effects but I don't know that it will really help that much.

I have joint and muscle pain but it is not debilitating like my fatigue, leg weakness and chronic migraines which I see a neuro for.

I do take pred, plaq and others already.

Thanks, Jen

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Jen, I find metho helps a lot in all ways, I did have awful weakness but it is not so much of a problem now. Joints are manageable too and skin is fine. Not too good for my fatigue but I manage and side effects went after first three months. I recommend it!
X Lola

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi Jen! Used to take methotrexate but had nausea with it. It really helped my joint pain, but between the hair loss and nausea, I decided it wasn't worth it. Luckily, I went into a remission of sorts and didn't need anything beyond Celebrex, Aspirin, Ultracet and Plaquenil, etc. (see below!) for pain.

Now it's back with a vengeance and instead of methotrexate, I'm on Arava. Just noticed yesterday that my joint pain is still with me but MUCH better and I've had zero side effects!

Metho is a very good, effective treatment that is considered safe as it's been around a long time. And not everyone reacts the same way to it. I would recommend it as a treatment if your doctor recommends it. By the way, the hair loss was reversed as soon as I quit the drug!

Love, Pollyanna :love2:

·
Registered
468 Posts
When I took the oral methotrexate I had tons of stomach upset, and so now I am on the injectable methotrexate and no longer have any upset with it, also on plaquinel, prednisone, soma, folic acid...haven't yet been into remission yet, but I know I have fewer side effects with the shots, and they're not hard at all. Karly:wink2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts