TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hope you are well and full of the joys of spring!

As many of you know I have started Methotrexate injections...On tues I went to the hospital and the Rheum Nurse showed me how to do it and she did it that time...and this Tues I have to do it myself with her watching...But she gave me some sterile needles ect so I could just practise stabbing myself or injecting into oranges...however I can't do it! I can't stick the needle into me!

I thought I would find it ok...but it seems I have some kind of issue lol! When i go to do it i feel like im going to be sick...and thats just sticking a needle in...imagine having to push the drug in...I need some help. I keep waking up in a cold sweat thinking about it!!!

I really thought it would be easy! Does anyone have any advise? I really want to be able to do this.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:worried:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Mooks,

I know how you feel. The first time I had to take injections, it was while I was expecting my first child 16 years ago. I had a nurse come out to the house twice a day, but eventually, I was to take over. I wasn't quite ready, so my husband did them for me. Eventually, I got up the nerve and it really wasn't so bad.

Last year I became diabetic and it was like it was all new again. What I had to remember seemed overwhelming. Again, my husband stepped in and did the needles until I felt I could do it. It's not that my husband likes stabbing me with needles, but somebody had to do it! LOL...I also did the methotrexate injections for some time. I'm a real pin cushion now with 5-7 needles a day!:(

Do you have someone that can do the injections for you until you are ready to take over yourself? That's the best advice I can offer for now. It's like anything else the "first" is always the worst until you do it.

Good luck....

Annette

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Michelle,

:hug: Not sure how I would go with it either, however Annette gives some good advice, I know at least one other member here who has someone else do it for her too :)

Good luck with it, I'm sure like most everything once we do it once it becomes easier each time :luck: Try and think of the positives you may gain from it, it is a means to an end (easy for me to say I know but that's how I try and overcome a lot of stuff these days). :foryou:

love
Lily

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh yes, I remember so well the dread that first time I had to inject myself when I was on MTX. After a while it became easier, but your fear is understandable. It really would be best if you could have assistance for a while longer and just take baby steps along the way. First, practice filling the syringe, and when you're comfortable with that, trying just pinching the skin where the needle will enter, while someone else inserts it. (I found that pinching the skin made the insertion easier and more comfortable). Then next time, pinch the skin and try to just insert the tip and let someone else inject the medicine. Then finally do the whole procedure yourself. If you know there's someone there who can help through each step, you may not feel such a panic. It's the feeling of being on your own and having to do it all that may be what's causing your anxiety.

Take a deep breath and keep at it until you get it. You can do this.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Michele,
Is there anyone like a friend that would be willing to learn to do it for you or a boyfriend? Just a thought. Maybe the problem is that you are thinking about it too much. I know I could not do that to myself so you are not alone in that feeling. If it ment the difference between being better maybe I could do it. You could talk to the nurse and see if she has any advice for helping to be able to stab yourself. I hope that you find a way to do what you need to for your health.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thanks for your replies and advice!! Today I bit the bullet and DID IT!!! WOOOP!! It wasnt as bad as i thought and my nurse said i was much better than most first timers lol :D:D:D YEYEY xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Oh Michelle! Well done to you! What a brave young lady you are :)

Congratulations!

Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh well done!!!! you must be so relieved that it went ok :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good on ya! It will get even easier each time you do it and will become second nature before you know it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
good for you Michelle :woohoo: now you've done it once the next time should be a little easier :thumbs:

Proud of you............not sure how I would go :hehe:

love
Lily

1 - 10 of 10 Posts