TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering whether methotrexate can affect smell and taste....also make the nose extra sensitive? Sounds strange, however, I feel like I am continually breathing in an irritant.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,405 Posts
Hi Aggie,
I think a call to your rhumey is in order. I have been looking and haven't found anything on your question.With all new symptoms one should call their rhumeys.
That sounds like an awful side effect to have.:hug::hug:

I am on methotrexate.( a newbie to it) and haven't really had any side effects from it. But then it hasn't really started working that well on me. My rhumey said it working but not enough to write home about it.:hehe:

Take care and I hope you find out and get rid of the awful taste.
Love,
Lyn

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Yes, it can. Check with your doctor and at least let them know you are getting this effect.
I often get a weird taste in my mouth when I do my mtx.
Sally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keebler;540535 said:
Hi Aggie,
I think a call to your rhumey is in order. I have been looking and haven't found anything on your question.With all new symptoms one should call their rhumeys.
That sounds like an awful side effect to have.:hug::hug:

I am on methotrexate.( a newbie to it) and haven't really had any side effects from it. But then it hasn't really started working that well on me. My rhumey said it working but not enough to write home about it.:hehe:

Take care and I hope you find out and get rid of the awful taste.
Love,
Lyn

Glad to hear that you are coping OK.

I've been on it for a month and have experienced the said side effects, plus a feeling of coming down with the flu/bloating. Saying that, my face (which has been covered in horrendous sores for approx a year) has virtually cleared. The lesions on my body have calmed too. No movement on the hair front yet though. Whether this is coincidence or the medication working who knows? It's been a joy to have a clear face, however, I'm waiting with baited breath for 'it' to return!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pink Pearl;540559 said:
Yes, it can. Check with your doctor and at least let them know you are getting this effect.
I often get a weird taste in my mouth when I do my mtx.
Sally
OK. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Hi Aggie,
Something that rheumatologists often neglect to tell people, is the reason why chemo works on sle. Inflammatory cells are rapidly dividing cells. Cancer cells are rapidly dividing cells. See the connection? It is not desired for chemo to do the wide spread damage that it does with cancer cells. For this reason, many people stay on lower doses of chemo.

Think of how long it has been for your body to build up the level of inflammatory cells, and then the chemo drug killing them off. When you end up with all those dead cells in your muscles and joints and there is no easy way to get them out of the muscles and joints. My cousin coined that we need "a garbage truck brigade" to clear everything out. This can account for the "wiped out" feeling you have for the 2 or 3 days post your taking the mtx.

One of the best ways to help your body is to keep well hydrated as it helps your blood to get them flushed out. Lots of water, juice, and broth soups will aid this. Take it easy for those days. I will try to not plan much for those 48 hours until I know I am going to go thru it ok. The longer you are on the mtx, the less work you are going to have to "clean up" as you get caught up on the inflamed cells. Why doctors don't mention this drives me nuts.

I keep compazine for nausea and lomotil for gi problems, on hand. That way if I need them, I have them right there.

I hope I have answered some of your questions about dealing with sle and mtx. [I've been on mtx for 17 years.]
Sally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pink Pearl;540681 said:
Hi Aggie,
Something that rheumatologists often neglect to tell people, is the reason why chemo works on sle. Inflammatory cells are rapidly dividing cells. Cancer cells are rapidly dividing cells. See the connection? It is not desired for chemo to do the wide spread damage that it does with cancer cells. For this reason, many people stay on lower doses of chemo.

Think of how long it has been for your body to build up the level of inflammatory cells, and then the chemo drug killing them off. When you end up with all those dead cells in your muscles and joints and there is no easy way to get them out of the muscles and joints. My cousin coined that we need "a garbage truck brigade" to clear everything out. This can account for the "wiped out" feeling you have for the 2 or 3 days post your taking the mtx.

One of the best ways to help your body is to keep well hydrated as it helps your blood to get them flushed out. Lots of water, juice, and broth soups will aid this. Take it easy for those days. I will try to not plan much for those 48 hours until I know I am going to go thru it ok. The longer you are on the mtx, the less work you are going to have to "clean up" as you get caught up on the inflamed cells. Why doctors don't mention this drives me nuts.

I keep compazine for nausea and lomotil for gi problems, on hand. That way if I need them, I have them right there.

I hope I have answered some of your questions about dealing with sle and mtx. [I've been on mtx for 17 years.]
Sally
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Sally. It's helped me understand why I'm getting all these new aches/pains/symptoms and am generally feeling under the weather at the moment. Why doctors don't mention this to those starting on methotrexate is a mystery.....my GP just shrugged when I asked whether it was due to the medication!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Now you can inform your doctor!
I have been fortunate to have doctors who are superb at explaining things. When I went to the IV administration for mtx, my oncologist was superb at explaining why things happened. If I told him about something going on, he was great at interpreting for me. I taught him about sle at the time too.
Sally
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top