The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,
i just went to my nephrologist and she told me that in my latest bloodworks my kidney seem to be in some problem now. I have always had some proteinuria, but now it's gone worse and i also have blood in my urine. She told me she spoke with my rheumy and that, since also complement was low, they were considering metatrexate. the'll tell me next week.
I am a bit scared (now i'm on plaquenil and painkillers)...can you tell me some more...what are the side effects?

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey Enrico, There are loads and loads of posts about mtx and its side effects/personal experiences on here, if you use the search thing up there ^^ theres lots of good info. good luck with it, sorry to hear about your kidneys xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
From what I know, methotrexate is a bit of an odd choice to treat lupus kidney issues with... Cellcept is rapidly becoming the first choice treatment, although Cytoxan is also used frequently still. Imuran is also used for milder kidney issues. You may want to have your rheumy consult with your nephrologist on this; be sure you are getting on the right medication.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Ho Enrico
I am sorry about this latest development and hope they will do all the usual investigations like kidney biopsy
I haven't heard of methotrexate being used for kidney problems - it's used more for arthritis. Prednisone is universally used to get the inflammation down fast and Imuran ( azathioprine) is preferred or these days it might be Cellcept ( mycophenolate mofetil or MMF for short )
I would ask why methotrexate and why no Prednisone

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic1597.htm

Let us know how you get on and the best of luck

Clare

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Enrico,

Methotrexate is part of a class of medications that when used for Lupus and similar diseases are called DMARDs Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs. I would hope on further discussion that Imuran or Cellcept be the direction they choose to go and you have every right as a patient to ask why Methotrexate. All of these DMARDs are immune suppressing and there will always be some risk of side effects. However we take much lower doses for lupus treatment than other kinds of patients would be taking. That lowers the possibility of having any severe side effects.

The advantage to these drugs is they have fewer side effects than long term Prednisone. They can slow down and in some cases stop the lupus from continuing to attack your kidneys. Even though they seem scary they are truly wonderful breakthroughs in the treatment of lupus and allow most patients to live a normal life span.

Take care,
karen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts