The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently diagnosed. Saw my Rhumatologist in December, who wants to put me on Methotrexate, he's given me all the information and I've looked it up on the net, but was wondering if anyone out there can give me their own personal view on it, how it has effected you, good and bad and if it seems like a viable option. I've been back and forward on whether or not to take it, my family is being very supportive, but they don't know like you guys do!! Please please help me!! I go back in two weeks and have to have my decision!!

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
ScattyNatty,

I have been on Methotrexate for many years. In fact I believe it was at least part of the reason that I went into a long remission. Usually our doctors start us at 7.5 - 10mg per week and then raise the dose if necessary. My first time around I was on 7.5mg and never had any noticeable side effects at all.

This 2nd time around I had some nausea about 36 hours my weekly dose for the first 2-3 weeks and then similar when my dose was increased. I am currently on 20mg per week. I have also had some minor hair loss which is only noticeable to myself as I have so much hair.

I hope the doctor has also prescribed folic acid for you to take. The folic acid helps to temper some of the side effects. Different doctors have different philosophy's about how it should be taken. My rheumy has me take 1mg everyday. However your doctor prescribes it is how you should take it.

The other point I would make is that we don't take it at near the dosages that people with cancer take it at. Some of the information on the internet is based on the cancer doses and not the doses used for lupus and other connective tissue diseases.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been taking it for about 6 months and think it helps a little, but my lupus is still really out of control, my Dr just up'ed both my Metho and my plaqunil. It's worth trying, it dose help alot of people and I am hoping it will do more for me now that i'm taking more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello,

I have been on metho for years now. Started at 25mg and am now down to 10mg with another drop hopefully in the Spring:)

Metho makes me sick and tired one day a week. I take it by injection just before bed and plan to have a very low energy day the next day. The higher the dose the worse it is for me. The first two months were harder than now but I still lose one day a week to the drug. Having said that, I have to say, it gives me the other six for the most part. I ride the rollercoaster we all do but being on metho makes the other six days more productive.

I recommend injections if you can - the pills make me feel much worse.

Maybe you won't be like me - only way to know is to give it a go.

Cheers
Pukeko

·
Registered
24 Posts
Methotrexate

I agree with Pukekos, I self inject also. The first time around I tried the tablets but had much more side effects from them then the injections. Also, I do tend to be more tired the next day as well. Like Pukekos, the rest of the week is much better and by the 5th day, I'm looking forward to the next injection.

Best of luck to you in your decision. Hope it will help you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Methotrexhate

Hi all
Had my rheumy appointment brought forward from March to yesterday as having trouble with Metho tablets, made me feel terrible and knew that the Rheumy wanted to double the dose. They are arranging for me to take it by injection now which seems a bit daunting, but I don't want to feel like this anymore with the tablets so I am willing to try anything. Hubby coming with me to see Lupus Nurse so she can teach us both how to inject and all that is involved if there is a spillage etc., Injections will be delivered to the house by a Care Company along with all the stuff I will need, so here's hoping.

Keep well all of you

Love

Meryl

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been on 20mg a week of methotrexate for 18 months. It has given me my life back. The only side effect I have is that it makes me more sun sensitive the day I take it and the day after.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi,
I have done both and the injections are sooooooooo much better. I am hoping to be starting here soon. When I was on it many moons ago my quality of life was so much better. I could not take the pills for some reason. I recommend the injections highly!!!!

Good Luck,
Becca

·
Registered
468 Posts
I will start to inject in two days

When I took the methatrexate pills I could always count on being a bit nauseas...I am glad to hear that that seems to be a bit better with injection....I was a bit scared at first at doing the shots but I have the prochedure down just have to do it for the first time. I am also on 10mg. prednisone, 200mg. 2x daily plaquinel, 50mg. imuran 2x daily, folic acid...will be doing .06 cc of methatrexate at first.
Shaking hands but hopeful about the shots, Karla

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
For some reason, I was under the impression that Imuran and Methotrexate and NOT supposed to be prescribed at the same time. I am not positive about this, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Hopefully I am wrong...and I hope the mtx helps you. I am grateful to be on it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am on Imuran and Methotrexate as well as several others to try to get my RA under control and it has been checked and rechecked never finding any reason they can't be taken together.

Nichole

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Denalirat,

It is becoming more and more standard practice to keep methotrexate and add an additional immune suppressor to a patients medication cocktail. My doctor explained to me that the Methotrexate boosts the effectiveness of the drug it is being paired with. Currently I take Methotrexate and have Enbrel, in fact there have been a few drug trials that found in RA patients using Metho and Enbrel together had better results than Enbrel alone.

If you are doing a drug interaction checker it will come up advising against Imuran and Methotrexate together. However it is usually basing that on using the full strength doses like in treating cancer which is much different than the doses we take to control lupus and lupus related illnessess.

Take care,
Karen

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
Thanks, Karen. I knew I read somewhere that they shouldn't be taken together, but that would make sense if we're talking about chemo doses vs. lupus doses. Much different!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all again!! I have seen my Rhuemy who is definately putting me on this!! I go in next tuesday to see the nurse!! Not sure yet if I having the tablets or the injection!! I'm a bit scared but also excited that I should have some kind of life back!!

I just want to say that I love this website and the chat room and it makes me feel comforted to know that other people know how I feel!!

Thank you again so much for all your advice and information!! I'll let you know how I get on!!

Scatty!!! xx

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been on Methotrexate for one year now. I have had no side affects and lupus has been quiet. My most obvious lupus symptom was hair loss in patches, that's when my doctor put me on the Metho. I have no bald patches now and all my hair is filling back in. Its worth a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts