TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!:)
Can I ask of you that take the methotrexate,how you take it? Do you take it all at once or do you divide it up through the day?
I know we are all different,but which way works best for you? Thanks for your help!:)..........It sure is all appreciated! Take care and have a pain free Lupie day!:)..............................Laura(LWL2002)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Laura,

I am currently taking 17.5 mg of MTX. I was having a lot of trouble with my stomach after the last increase so my doctor has me taking 3 pills in the morning and 4 at night. Seems to be a bit better some weeks, other weeks it just prolongs the agony. I find my self still taking it in one dose if I have something going on that week, just to get it over with.

The last time I was in we talked about switching to the injectable form. I think that is going to happen next week :sad:. I actually came to this thread with the intention of asking others how the injectable form differs from pills. I go back to my rheumy on 9/10 and we will probably be making the decision on the MTX and also most likely restarting the Remicade :worried:.

nichole

·
Jen
407 Posts
Hi Laura,

I've been on Methotrexate for about 5 months. Started at 7.5 (3 pills) once a week taken at one time. Went to 4 then 5 pills but was getting much too sick so went down to two pills then back up to 3 which I've been on for a couple months and it is going pretty well. Will try going to 4 pills soon.

I typically need low doses of most meds as I don't tolerate them well but I will say at this point I'm glad I stuck with the metho as I do get some relief from it with the joint pain and fatigue. However, right now it helps when I first take it and then seems to wear off as the week goes on. It also took me a few months to notice any benefits and I'm glad others encouraged me to hang in there.

Hope this helps.

I thought you had been on metho in the past and had to stop taking it, are you considering it again?

Have a good day. Jen

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been taking metho for 6 years now- starting at 25mg and now 10mg. I have found the injections much easier on the body then pills. However I am 'hungover' the next day and feel like crap - week in and week out. Some weeks are better then others and sometimes I feel crappy for 2 days after :( I have found out that taking 1mg of folic acid six days a week (not metho day) helps with the mouth sores. When I take the pills - which I do from time to time - I take them all at once. Metho has helped me enourmously but I am ready for a break of feeling sick every week - and the needles! I see the rheumy in October and we will be discussing a further reduction or going off for awhile and see what happens.

I have my injection just before bed or if taking pills with a big dinner

I hope you find a system that works for you.

Cheers
Pukeko

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Ladies for your advice!
I have started methotrexate and was just looking to see what works for you. I started at 7.5 once a week and I took them 3 different times that day, but I think I am going to take them all at once.
I also take the foilc acid too at 1mg,YUK!

It is making me real sick but I am sure when dont with it all I will find some relief.I am also back on the pred too until the methotreaxte starts working for me!

Thank you all ...That was a help.
I have just plan been feeling rotten.............Thank You! :)
Laura(LWL2002):p

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was taking 20 mg. orally for several months before switching to the injections. I was started with just four pills then every two weeks bumped up from there to eight. I had no stomach problems but it wasn't working well enough so I was switched to injections. They are supposed to be 15-20% more effective and I found that to be true. Unfortunately, I also developed side effects I didn't have on the pills...blisters all over my face. I've just been taken off MTX and am hoping the Imuran I'm starting will work as well as the MTX without the side effects. Good luck. MTX is a miracle drug for many people. I hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was told to take it all at once. I started on 7.5 mg but now am at the max of 25 mg by injection. When I was taking the pills, I took all 10 at once, usually after breakfast without any problems.

When I first started, even on the low dose, I was nauseated, but the doctor gave me medication for that. Or I would take ginger gravol because it didn't make me sleepy. It didn't take that long for my body to adjust to the medication (well it felt like an eternity when I was going through it though, probably a month or two).

Nutty

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You all for answering my post. I was beginning to give up! :) I am doing fine....I decided to take all metho all at once.Works fine for now at least. Will have to see what happens when being on them for a while! Thansk for all your info! Laura (LWL2002):).............Take care and have a great day!

·
Registered
233 Posts
oh Laura ... so sorry that you have been in a slump lately. :sad: I started with metho in the pill form over a year ago and have since (4 the passed 5 months) switched to the injection. The rheummy thought that my body was't consumming enough of the drug in the pill form. I find the injections easy, only once a week , and seem to have a better effect on me. When on the pills I took them all at once with the plethora of other meds that I take.
By the way I found that one of those little cooler lunch totes for school kids work best for me to keep my meds in, for at home and when travelling. It has an upper and lower compartments and all zips shut. I find it keeps thins neat and tidy.
Hope to chat with you later in the Fall perhaps.
Hoping for nothing but the best for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Laura,
I have been on MTX for almost 2years. I take 6 pills together with my pred. and colchicine , protonix and folic. I take folic acid daily, event on metho days. I only feel yucky once in a while, usually later in the day/evening. But so far I have been doing well on this, no mouth sores either. I have been able to get down to 3.5mg of pred, since I started metho.
Good luck, Kim:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I take my methatrexate by shot, 0.8cc's a week because the pills make me nauseas, as does about everything, but the shot works for me better....take care. Karly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts