The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do migraine's last, mine has lasted since saturday 5 days and counting, I've taken some medicine(first esgic, then maxalt) but not much relief, I've had severe abd pain, nausea, dizziness, weakness, no appetite it started out with achiness like I was getting a flare. I'm kinda worried about not eating, I've only been able to eat a few crackers a day, I'm trying to drink plenty of fluids.:(

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Setapart,

I'm sorry you are suffering right now. I think you need to see a doctor. It sounds like you are generally unwell, not just a migraine.

Most migraines last between a 1/2 hour and 3 days, althought they can last longer. My longest was 2 weeks, and like you I lost a heap of weight fast...but that was not normal. What you are experiencing now is also not normal. Please try to get to a doctor today.

It is important that you are checked out - this might be your lupus flaring, but it could also be possibly something else - a serious infection for example.

I hope you get help soon. Update us when you feel up to it please?

Take care,

X C X

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
sorry you got a migrain they are the pits, i had to stay in bed once for 3 days no light sick throbing head, coulnt see properly, i feel for you

get well soon lin xxxxxxx

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did see my pcp who put me on maxalt and told me to stay home for the day, that was tues, I actually went to work monday I don't know how but I did and I'm at work today, but I do feel somewhat better with the maxalt but still haven't ate anything but crackers, I'm going to get me a soft ice cream maybe the coldness will help some? Thanks.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
have you ever tried imitrex pills or shot? Not sure where you are but I have had to go get shots at the hospital before to get rid of mine. I am prone to migraines since I was 14. I would ask my doctor as most advice but a couple choices for u to talk them about anyway

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had migraines - 5 days is about the longest I have ever had one. We get a thing call a migraine pack from our pharmacies. It is a mix of pain killers, anti-nausea, muscle relaxants and anti-inflamatories. Those usually help. I also find that the anit-inflamatories always seem to help with all my headaches.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have had migraines that last days - actually these days I have an agreement with my doc that if I have a migraine that lasts more than three days to increase my prednisone to 20mg for 3 days, then back to my maintenance dose. That stops it - I just am too sick to go and see a doctor, hence the forward planning.

But, you sound like you are going beyond a migraine and into general unwellness. I think you need to see a doctor. I have never had abdominal pain with migraine, just nausea and vomiting, but that tends to pass as the headache develops fully - then I am just left with the worst headache in the world, light/sound/smell sensitivity etc. I always have to have the window open for fresh air even on the coldest winter day if I have a migraine. I have never had nausea that lasted more than a couple of hours at most, even with migraines that lasted for days.

So, I really do think that you need to see a doctor. Even if it is still a migraine (and who knows, you may just have different migraines than me) I still think you need to be seen seeing you are feeling so unwell.

hope you feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I am so sorry you suffer so much with migraines..

I can certainly identify with you. I have a migraine on the average of every other day..

I was just precribed Zomig 5mgs, to take on a daily basis. My neruo also, prescribed Imitrex personal Injections. The injections are good, in the respect
that they work much faster than the pills.

It took some practice..with the pen..witch screws in to the vial. Also, once the pen is loaded it is important not to push the pen release until the right time, or the medication only runs down your leg...:lol: I found out the hard way.

You can use the fatty part of your upper arm, or thigh..

I hope, you find a medication that helps you very soon. My gave me three types of samples, and told me not to despair if one didn't help me, because they have so many more to try.

So..there is hope for all of us migraine sufferers that if not med then another will be of help.

Best wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi-
when i was 18-26 yr.s old, my migraines used to last about 3 days--until i discovered proper meds. i used to take cafergot but later developed serious side effects. then i mysteriously, thankfully, stopped getting migraines!
recently, was having AWFUL migraines a few times a week that were relieved with imitrex---thank god! but it's very expensive.
i noticed that my headaches had started up again when i went back on plaquenil about a year and 1/2 ago. never got migraines when i was on plaquenil when i was younger.
since my hormonal levels are different now (am in my mid-40's), i'm thinking that perhaps that's why i don't tolerate it well now. just a guess.
anyone else notice a WORSENING of migraines when on plaq.? or related to age?
hope you find relief!!!
kiley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts