TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to deal with these? I get them so fast and bad that i start throwing up and i'm unable to take anything. I always end up going to er to get shot of dilaudin (sp?) and lots of zofran. It's becoming more regular though (about once or twice a month) and i worry that maybe my body is creating pain to get medicine? Does anyone have any remidies at home that can help?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Alisia,

I'm so sorry your migraines are becoming more frequent and are so severe :hug: Like I mentioned in the other post it definitely warrants a visit to a Neuro or your Rheumy to try and work out why this is happening. Then and only then will you be able to find a solution.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi there

I had migraines for decades, but did not find over the counter medicines that worked, so learned to live with them until I saw a neurologist who recommended a very small dose of a beta blocker (half a tablet once a day).

I no longer get migraines. The betablocker does not cure them, it prevents me from getting them. I am very grateful to this docotr.

I hope you get some useful replies, but I do think Lily's advice is good. I would not have got help without my neurologist appointment.

Take care.

·
Registered
198 Posts
alisiajo;526730 said:
Does anyone know of a way to deal with these? I get them so fast and bad that i start throwing up and i'm unable to take anything. I always end up going to er to get shot of dilaudin (sp?) and lots of zofran. It's becoming more regular though (about once or twice a month) and i worry that maybe my body is creating pain to get medicine? Does anyone have any remidies at home that can help?
Regarding a natural approach, I have a bioflo magnetic bracelet which, to date, appears to have reduced the severity/frequency of my migraines. Unfortunately I have yet to find any other natural remedies which work for me although I haven't tried Butter Bur which is supposed to be effective.

I have the same problem with migraines, ie. during a bad attack I am continually sick and can't keep water down, let alone any tablets. My GP prescribed Rizatriptan (Maxalt Melt) which comes in a wafer form and dissolves on the tongue going straight into the bloodstream.

Something like this might be better for you than dragging yourself to ER for a shot every time you get an attack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is that sort of an anti nasua? I'm going to write down all these and ask my doctor. When i first started getting migraines i took imitrex but i had to take two tablets and a couple times until the headache went away. It no longer works but i saw on tv that imitrex has a new migraine med out that is imitrex and nsaids. I'm wondering if this might work? Treximex ithink is what it's calle.d I have a lavender sented eye mask that i wear at night but it's new so the smell is over powering sometimes. But it seems to help a little. Are migraines something that goes along with lupus? I worry because the only time i've had seizures is when i get bad headaches and my bp sky rockets. When i went to ER last wednesday it was 180/130. and they still sent me home which was upsetting. They gave me the medicing through IV because i was dehydrated from throwing up and it didnt work as well as normal. It just wouldnt stick with me so i left with high BP, headache and still vommiting. UGH

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THaNks for all the advice also everyone. I am definetley going to ask my doc about these! :)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

As I said in my other post, it definitely sounds like you should look into this further especially as the headaches and cognitive problems may very well be linked.

Katharine

·
Registered
35 Posts
i get just about every kind of migraine you can imagine...regular migraines (like the one you're having), ocular, migraines with auras, and hemipelgic migraines. the only thing that helps besides prescriptions is sleep in a dark cool warm with a cold cloth. i've noticed that if i get 12 hours or so of sleep for a few days they go away. if i don't do the sleep thing, i've been know to have them for at least a week. also, if i nibble on crackers, that seems to help the nausea a little bit. i don't know if they have anything to do with lupus or not...but anything's possible. i hope you get the help you need.

·
Registered
198 Posts
alisiajo;526773 said:
is that sort of an anti nasua? I'm going to write down all these and ask my doctor. When i first started getting migraines i took imitrex but i had to take two tablets and a couple times until the headache went away. It no longer works but i saw on tv that imitrex has a new migraine med out that is imitrex and nsaids. I'm wondering if this might work? Treximex ithink is what it's calle.d I have a lavender sented eye mask that i wear at night but it's new so the smell is over powering sometimes. But it seems to help a little. Are migraines something that goes along with lupus? I worry because the only time i've had seizures is when i get bad headaches and my bp sky rockets. When i went to ER last wednesday it was 180/130. and they still sent me home which was upsetting. They gave me the medicing through IV because i was dehydrated from throwing up and it didnt work as well as normal. It just wouldnt stick with me so i left with high BP, headache and still vommiting. UGH
Rizatriptan is a 5-HT1 agonist which controls pain and nausea by narrowing blood vessels and also blocks the release of chemicals from nerves that cause the symptoms of migraine. It is most effective when taken at the first sign of a migraine attack.

I take 10mg but you can also get it in 5mg doses. My life has been changed by these tablets and I have recommended them to other migraine sufferers who think the same (including my husband). In fact I had the start of a migraine today and on feeling the warning signs I took a Maxalt Melt. A quick lie down and 40 minutes later the pain was gone......a huge improvement on spending 1 to 2 days in bed wanting to die.

Of course, I still have the odd attack for which nothing works, but I guard my stash of precious tablets with my life! Of course, they don't work for everyone but it might be worth a try especially of you have sickness during an attack. Obviously you will need to discuss the medication with your GP as you can't take it with certain medical conditions/other medication and there are some side effects (I get sensitive skin/throat for a few hours after taking but again, worth tolerating).

If I were you, I would also ask my GP to refer me to a neurologist to determine that it is actually migraine you are suffering from and also to try and identify the cause/trigger.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I would have to say I know what you are going through and it is not fun. I had a sleep study done and found that I stop breathing at night which lowers o2 in my body which causes migraines. I have a cpap machine that does help. I am not saying that is what is going on with you but that you should check into it and see if that maybe what is going on with you. There are also shots you can take at the onset of the migraine called imitrex. They help some people. If it gets too bad go the er and they can give you a shot that it will be gone in like 1 minute, but the side effect is that you are loopy for about 24 hours after that and no driving or being alone for that time. I would really have the doctor be checking into it because there is something going on and migraines are not normal not that any of us are normal but you need help. I even seen a doctor that put me caff. pills and this was his speciality. It could a good gp to find out what was wrong. Just because they specialize in something don't always make them right sometimes it takes stepping back and looking at what is going on to find the problem.
Tammy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm definetley going to ask my doctor about all of these. I do have a nerologist i havent seen him in awhile but i will have to call my rheumy to have him refer me there. Things get done quicker when i call him, he is very diligant unlike my GP.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Alisia,

I'm glad you can put in a call to your Rheumy and hopefully get to see the Neurologist.

The thing is that if you do have APS then all the migraine meds in the world won't help the underlying condition and if left untreated then some serious damage can result. That's why it's so important to establish whether these are just migraines or whether they are in fact a symptom of APS.

Let us know how you get along,

love
Lily

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you lily, i will be sure to let everyone know what turns out. I hope it isnt APS, I dont know how many more problems i can take from the lupus...

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I used to take Imitrex but it stopped working for me also and now I take a tablet that you put in your mouth and it dissolves. This is great because like you I get violently sick with migraines so with this I don't throw up.

*Maxalt-MLT 10mg orally disintegrating tablets. (Sometimes I take 2 at a time)

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome? If you have not you may want to inquire about having your doctor test for the anti bodies associated with this. It can cause Migraines.

So sorry your not well. Please know your in my thoughts and let us know how you make out at the doctors appointment.:wink2:

·
Registered
198 Posts
KarolH;526904 said:
I used to take Imitrex but it stopped working for me also and now I take a tablet that you put in your mouth and it dissolves. This is great because like you I get violently sick with migraines so with this I don't throw up.

*Maxalt-MLT 10mg orally disintegrating tablets. (Sometimes I take 2 at a time)

Have you been tested for Antiphospholipid Syndrome? If you have not you may want to inquire about having your doctor test for the anti bodies associated with this. It can cause Migraines.

So sorry your not well. Please know your in my thoughts and let us know how you make out at the doctors appointment.:wink2:
Not sure how you take the two tablets, however, just to clarify, two 10mg Maxalt Melt shouldn't be taken at the same time as it can be dangerous.

You can take one tablet at the onset of a migraine and another two hours later if the migraine returns. If the migraine has not eased after the first dose is taken, you are not to take the second dose.

No more than two tablets should be taken in 24 hours.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Aggie is right.

If this drug is prescribed to you I am sure your doctor will let you know how and when to take it.

I have not taken 2 at a time often and when I have it has been advised to me by my pcp to do just that.

I am sure whatever medicine your placed on your doctor will also let you know the dosing procedure for that drug.:wink2:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
alisiajo;526948 said:
Is APS something that goes along with lupus? Do a lot of Lupus patients have this?
Some people have APS with out Lupus.....Primary APS

Some folks have APS along with their Lupus....Secondary APS

I am not sure what percentage of people with Lupus have APS.

That is a good question and one I will ask my doctor at my next visit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called and asked my doctor about APS and he said i was tested in 04'. He said i could see a neuro if i wanted more information. I've had seizures since then and i think my mini stroke was also after that when i had the blood clot in my neck. Just wondering if it's worthe being re-tested or if that test is something that wont change?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I think the test results can certainly change and as that was 4 years ago and you are having problems that could be related to it then it's worth seeing a Neuro if the offer is there.

When testing for it they usually run one test and if it's positive they run another one 6 weeks later to confirm. You could get your GP to run one if you like and see what comes of it. The relevant tests are Anti-Cardiolipin antibody and the Lupus Anticoagulant - two seperate tests and either one may be positive in APS.

Even if you don't have a positive antibody I still think it's worthwhile seeing a Neuro because of your prior problems and these headaches you are experiencing now.

love
Lily

1 - 20 of 32 Posts