TheLupusSite.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, boy has this site been very, very informational on this thing that I never knew I could get.

I am super healthy so of course thinking the doc made a HUGE mistake:) I know that isn't true but it is how I am feeling....

I have a question, I have almost 17 years in the military and now am diagnosed... has anyone here been in the military when diagnosed, what happens now....will i be discharged, medically retired, retained but not deployable, deployable because i am healthy.....

I have so many questions and am researching like crazy about the medical eval boards but can't seem to find anything and thought I would ask here...

Here's to hoping...:wink2:

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Majorjen,

I am a civilian but wanted to say welcome to the Lupus Site. I imagine the answer to your question depends on how your lupus is affecting you. The majority of lupus patients are able to continue working (or return to work) and work a full career and have a normal life span. I am assuming the doctor has prescribed you Plaquenil and that you were diagnosed by a rheumatologist. If you were diagnosed by a GP/Internist I would want to know what they based their diagnosis on. I say that because occasionally we have someone come here, saying they were diagnosed with lupus and when they are investigated by a rheumatologist the diangosis is reversed.

Plaquenil is the mainstream lupus medication and it takes from 3-6 months to start working and 6-9 months or longer to reach full benefit. Some doctors will prescribe prednisone for the short term to get things under control and stabilized until the Plaquenil has had time to start working.

The stories shared here, or on any lupus website, are generally those who have a tough time getting diagnosed or those who are on the sicker end of the lupus scale. Please don't take any website as a true cross section of lupus patients. I have overlapping diseases. My major lupus symptom is joint pain severe enough that I am disabled and take strong pain medication in addition to my lupus meds.

How does your lupus affect you?

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was in the US Navy for 14 years. What country are you in? I was discharged from the Navy due to medical problems. I am now receiving benifits from the US department of Veterans affairs. I don't know if I can help with what happens next but I can share what I went through. Let me know if I can help.

Stacie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Majorjen,

I am retired military but was diagnosed when I was active duty. I went through 2 MEBs when I was in but they returned me to duty. I wasn't deployable because I wasn't world wide qualified since I had Lupus.

if you have anymore questions please ask!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Is it SLE that you have recently been diagnosed with? How is it affecting you?

Personally I would have thought that it was down to how you were affected on a day to day basis and whether your condition was interfering with you carrying out your job effectively.

You really need to talk to your military employers about your circumstances, I dont think you will come up with the right answers purely through research.

best wishes

Ann

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi majorjen, and a very warm welcome to this great site. I see that you have already gotten a few military answers, but maybe you could do another post, still in this section, only title it "Any Military w/ Lupus?"
That may catch more people's eye from other sections. we all here to help and support everyone else. We will try to answer all the questions that you have. Be well.and keep posting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MajorJen,

Follow up with the earlier message I posted:

Majorjen,

I am retired military but was diagnosed when I was active duty. I went through 2 MEBs when I was in but they returned me to duty. I wasn't deployable because I wasn't world wide qualified since I had Lupus.

if you have anymore questions please ask!//////

I had 5 years left on active duty and some of the responses after mine are right on. It depends on what your blood results are and what organs it may or may be affecting. As far as the military employers go (if USAF), you don't look sick so in their mind you aren't (lesson learned the hard way). Where are you stationed at and are you seeing a rheumy? If not I think you need to see a rheumy if there is a Active duty they can kind of go through the process of whether or not you need to be MEB'd.

Hope this helps

Keebs Bro

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello majorJen and wellcome.
I was in the Air Force when my wife was diagnosed with Lupus.

I have seen alot of people diagnosed with diferent medical problems. Some it did not effect the career at all and some it did.
It depends alot on how it is effecting you and what the doctors feel you are able to do.

It may effect your ability to be deployed because of availability of medical in some locations. In some area it will be dificult to get the tests and medications that you may need on a regular basis.
How it is effecting you can also play a large role in being deployed. If you are sun sensitive some areas will likely be excluded very fast.

You do not say what branch you are in or what you do but you may find it could force is PCS to a new location where better medical is available. It could also force a job change depending on what you do, what you are put on and what effect the desease and medications have on you.

I have seen people with fairly severe conditions that were allowed to stay in because they were able to continue the job they were in and they wanted to stay in and expressed this desire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Military member newly diagnosed

Majjen
HI! I'll make some assumptions since my primary doc sent me to the Rheumatologist right away for diagnosis/evaluation. A Lupus diagnosis wasn't in his lane. I'm a Lt Col (female...just in case you are wondering) with 17 years in. I was diagnosed Spring 2001. I was terrified I would be seperated, but that obviously didn't happen. For me the MEB process was combersome, but in the end I was able to stay on active duty. If you meet an MEB and are found fit for duty, you most likely will have an assignment limitation code (basically a profile). Up until this past year I still ran my mile and a half, etc, but I now have AVN of my hip, so that is out. I think I'll take the bike test this year. Anyway, your MEB will hinge on how active your disease is, how well you respond to medication and depending on your AFSC, whether or not you can still do your primary job. I still suffer, because I very rarely tell folks about my condition, and I think I have to work harder, stay later, etc. Some of that is a personality flaw --pre lupus! You can get smart on the MEB process by google searching air force medical evaluation boards. Also, I can't remember if the clerk at the clinic told me or if I just got some good advice. If you intend to "fight" to stay in a letter from your boss would help, stating the impact (or hopefully lack of impact) the disease has had on your ability to work, etc. I was lucky enough to be doing some "guest" execing for our three-star at the time and he also signed a letter for me. I don't know if the letters made a difference, but I wasn't going to go down without a fight.

I've never posted before, but your thread caught my attention and I remember how worried I was that 12 years of service where about to go down the drain. I love being active duty and my care has been exceptional since my diagnosis; there are days however that between the fatigue and pain I would much rather be retired than putting on "my game face". I wish you all the luck and reply if you have questions.

T

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was looking for the same answers!

I was just diagnosed and I mean as of two days ago and was frantically looking for an answer when I ran across this thread. I joined the military late in life after college, kids, all that good stuff and have been in 10 years now. About 2 years ago I started noticing unbearable pain in my joints and being on HRT since I was 26 and I am now 40, I attributed it to that and possible weaker bones which can occur with HRT and decreased bone density. I was really feeling like the weak link and was beginning to think I was just a total loser or just not able to keep up anymore. I couldn't run and was told I could do the bike and now I'm having a hard time doing that! Now I know the pain wasn't in my head and it's somewhat relieving to know the how and the why but now I'm frantic trying to find out if this diagnosis is going to get me discharged from the Navy. If it weren't for my upcoming deployment in April, I don't think any of this screens would have ever been done and I probably would have continued on feeling the same way. I am so disappointed and I have already finished all my pre-deployment preparations. Aside from the Lupus diagnosis, they also diagnosed me with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I'm not sure if I am retainable but not deployable or if I am not retainable because I'm non-deployable. I sure could use the feedback.

·
3,288 Posts
Hi Maximbty

:welcome: to the forum; it's good that you've found us and noticed that we can be of support and help to you. The members here are really friendly :goodvibes:

This thread is very old so I will close it now as you are unlikely to get a response from the members who have posted in it. It would be good for you to start your own, maybe in the 'Introduce yourself' section so that we can learn more about you and so that you will get your own replies.

There is a load more information which is definitely worth looking round on the main site http://www.thelupussite.com/ but feel free to post any questions you may have on the boards.

Best wishes,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.