TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jen
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll been searching some old post looking for information on Mirena IUD and lupus. I'm strongly considering getting a Mirena due to complications with my period and will be discussing with my rheumy but if you've had a Mirena IUD can you let me know what your experience has been like and did you have any complications, lupus or otherwise?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Jenkay
I too am currently exploring the idea of having the Mirena IUD as my Rheumy is satisfied that the most likely cause for my current symptoms has been the change from the Combined Oral Pill to the Progestogen Only Pill.
He has referred me to Gynaecology and I have an appointment in a couple of weeks so I will provide some feedback after my appointment. I'll also be very interested in any information or feedback that you receive...
Freya

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Ladies,

I have had the mirena for four years now with no complications at all. The only "side-effect" I have had is an almost total absence of periods but guess what? I'm not complaining on that score :rotfl:

For me it was the only contraceptive option other than having my tubes tied and that was not really being considered due to my age.

I have my usual gyne check up each year and the doc just checks that it is still in the right place, again, no problems.

Katharine

·
Registered
14,661 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Ladies,

I have had a marina for the last ten years and have had no probs at all, in fact it has been lovely not having that time of month for ten years...I also do not get the dreaded mood swings....

For me it was the right decision,

Ellie

·
Registered
138 Posts
I too am a HUGE fan of the mirena: it hurts to have it put in but since then I have had 3 years of period-free, pain free contraception. What's not to like?!

x Hatty

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry to put a damper on the thread but I had a terrible experience with Mirena. My periods did disappear all together but I also had acne, weight gain, hair loss, headaches and SEVERE mood swings.

I am very sensitive to artifical hormones though and do have a friend who swears by it. I then had a Gynefix IUD which is stitched in and it was great. After 6 years I had to have it surgically removed as there was no longer any doctors trained in Gynefix. I would have loved to have another one but don't know if it still exists.

I now have a normal IUD which causes me no issue at all. I'm quite small inside but would never know it was there and my periods are no heavier than they were.

HTH,

Pam x

·
Registered
170 Posts
wow, this is good info.

I am SUPER sensitive to the hormones in "the pill". ive tried several types and none have ever really worked for me. A hormone free IUD maybe the way to go..

Good luck Jenkay

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello chal :)

The Mirena isn't hormone free :( It releases 20 microgrammes of levonorgestril
( a progestin) a day. Still, it's well worth asking your gyny about.
I have the impression that IUDs have always been less used in the USA than in the UK so if one has never been suggested before maybe your gyny just didn't think about it. This Mirena has done wonders to reduce heavy periods and some women have been able to avoid surgical intervention after starting to use it.

Good Luck :)

Clare

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I got the mirena coil fitted in 2007 because I have lichens sclerosis and wearing towels, liners or tampax made it worse. On advice from my gyn I went ahead as I desprately wanted to stop having periods. It was not painful getting it fitted and I have had no complications, though everyone is different. I did alot of research before and most of the stuff on the internet was all doom and gloom. But for me its great.

Mx

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. Had Mirena fitted 2 months ago as I'm on rituximab treatment for Lupus Nefritis and doc suggested it was a better option than the pill as it contained less hormones and is more effective form of contraception. I've been bleeding/spotting every day since, but doc says this should ease off by 3rd month - I hope so cos getting a bit tired of it now!!! Can't wait for periods to go away completely as mine were heavy and painful. Will have Mirena checked next month to ensure everything is going well! oxoxoox

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mirena

:rotfl:HELLO LADIES, I HAVE HAD THE MIRENA IUD SINCE OCTOBER 07 DUE TO TAKING BLOOD THINNERS BECAUSE OF A CLOTTING PROBLEM I COULD NO LONGER TAKE 'THE PILL' . I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. NO MORE MOOD SWINGS OR CRAMPING. LESS DAYS EVEN THOUGH I'M TAKING COUMADIN. SO I SAY THUMBS UP BUT WOULD CONSULT WITH YOUR DR FIRST. GSD77

1 - 12 of 12 Posts