The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Danielle
I am new to the site,I was diagnose with lupus at the age of 18. I am 28 years of age as of today. At first it was a fight for me, but now since the years have past and I'm getting older, i really do not have that much pain nor systems with my lupus. I miscarriage one month ago at three weeks, i am taking AZATHIOPRINE aka, (IMURAN). As well as, HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE aka, (PLAQUENIL). My obgyn. doctor really didn't give me any expenation why i miscarriage but, me as being a lupus patient may miscarriage in my first trimester. He also said that many people that has lupus tend to get pregnant while their lupus is in remission. he told me to wait for at lease three or four months before i try again. My question is do i have to wait that long? and why is the wait that long? i have read else where about my condition and people speak highly over the fact they don't wait that long at all. Actually i read up on a story pertaining the same as mine and the young woman say she conceived one month after her cycle went off... So if there's someone out there that have answers for me please help. Me n my husband are truly ready to get started again on the next one.

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Danielle,

Welcome to the lupus site.

I am sorry to read about your miscarriage.:hug:

Here is a sticky note in the section on this board "

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

At the top of this page are sticky notes. They have good information about being pregnant with lupus. At the bottom of this page there are threads that members have posted on.

Have you been checked out for APS? Here is an explanation for APS..

Antiphospholipid syndrome is a condition that can cause clotting within your arteries or veins and various other problems, some life-threatening.
Antiphospholipid syndrome may cause clots to form in your legs, a condition known as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Antiphospholipid syndrome may also cause blood clots to form in organs, such as your kidneys or lungs. Damage depends on the extent and location of the clot. For instance, a clot in your brain can cause stroke.
In antiphospholipid syndrome, your immune system mistakenly produces antibodies to certain proteins in your blood. Antibodies are specialized proteins that normally attack body invaders, such as viruses and bacteria.
There's no cure for antiphospholipid syndrome, but medications can be effective in reducing your risk of blood clots.
I found it here.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antiphospholipid-syndrome/DS00921

I am not saying that you have this, I was wondering if your doctors have checked this out.
Are you seeing a high risk OBGYN?

There are members here that have had babies with SLE. They will probably come along and post to you.

I don't have experienced with this. I was diagnosed when I was 48 yrs. old. My heart goes out to you and your husband.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi and welcome. I am also sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I myself have not been diagnosed with Lupus as of yet. In the process of finding out. I just wanted to say that I have also had several miscarriages. The doctors tell you to wait a few months, so that your body can heal and be ready to carry a child. They suggest this so that you have a better chance of carrying to full term. At least that's what I was told. I wish you well and hopefully in time you will get pregnant.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your loss...

I have personally known some people get pregnant within 1-2 months after a miscarriage and have no problems, but have heard many doctors advise waiting 3-4 months too for the same reasons already given.

Early losses are unfortunately VERY common in healthy women as well as those with SLE. I believe it is estimated that about 25% or more of all pregnancies end in miscarriage some of them occurring so early that the women don't realize they were pregnant. So there is actually a pretty strong chance that your first pregnancy ending in miscarriage was unrelated to your having lupus.

Getting checked for any and all clotting antibodies often found in lupus patients would be prudent, and even testing for Leiden Factor V may be a good idea too as that is pretty common in the general population and another clotting related cause of miscarriage. Finding out early if you have any of these things would clearly be better than waiting until after your second or third loss.

Best wishes to you and I wish you all the best with your next pregnancy.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi welcome to this lovely lupus site

so sorry to hear your loss.
see u been given good tips where to seek advice,if u ever unsure alwaysa sk 2 nd opinion.
chat room is fab lv countrylass:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi sorry to here of your loss, I was diagnosed when I was 18 and I am now 34. My first pregnancy was going fine then when I was 5 months the scan had showed that the baby was behind its growth size, I had alot of scans for about a month then I was told my baby had died I was 6 months, then a few years later I fell again and miscarried at 8 weeks. I was told that I had to have 2 miscarriages before they did anything, so I tried again and they gave me clexane injections so I had to to this everyday from as soon as I found out I was pregnant this thins your blood even though I was told I did not have sticky blood. I went on to have a girl pregnancy was fine I was induced at 36 weeks because it is dangerous for you and the baby to go past 37 weeks. Then 18 months later fell pregnant again and had to do the injection everyday again and went on to have a boy. But they let me go past 38 weeks and things went a bit wrong and to have a cesarean section and he was not breathing but in the end all was ok.

But dont forget that people without Lupus have miscarriages all of the time, I think my first loss was to do with lupus but I think second one was just a normal miscarriages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.