The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again guys,
I have another question for u regarding my son.
He is only 4 years old and has been diagnosed with mitral valve problems.
Like myself he has bowel problems and has recently been breaking out with mouth ulcers. I am very concerned that he might have/develop Lupus also.
Does anyone know of a link between Lupus and Mitral valve disease.
Any response is greatly appreciated.

Luv Gwennie x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It does appear there is a link between MVP and SLE (& possibly other autoimmune disorders). A few studies have found an increased incidence of MVP among those with lupus than healthy control subjects.

Here's a link for the gory technical details!

http://lup.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/12/4/308

I was found to have MVP well over a decade before I had symptoms that led me to seek an answer for what turned out to be lupus. You should also remember the MVP is an extremely common problem & is generally speaking not a serious problem for the vast majority of those who have it. While it is more common in people with lupus, I'm certain the vast majority of those with MVP do not have any autoimmune disease.

With your son having other symptoms though also consistent with lupus, and the family history, I think it would be a good idea to mention your concerns to your son's doctor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Maia!

Thanks for clearing that up for me as i was rumaging around the site for answers.
I am due at my own docs tommorow and will definately mention it to her.
Fingers crossed he is all right,i would be devastated if he had to endure the same pain etc that we go through.
Thanks once again,i cant even share this news with my husband yet.
This site is truely wonderful,i look forward to making some new friends here.
Thanks for your reply,
A very grateful Gwennie x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts