The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Following a recent visit to St Thomas', I've received my copy of the update Dr D'Cruz sends my GP & Rhuemy. Along with my ever increasing list of diagnosis, there was a note about my ECG showing 'mild thickening of the mitral valve'. When Dr D'Cruz mentioned this in my appointment, he was quite dismissive of this but I am keen to understand what it is and if there is anything I can do to prevent it worsening, etc. I've read a bit on the internet but rfeaked myself out a bit so wondered if anyone else has this and can offer any advise?

Thanks as always,
Amanda

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would ask your GP to explain this at the next appointment or ask Dr. DCruz to go into a little more detail about why you shouldn't worry about it. If only a little/mild thickening was noted, and no regurgitation then that is very good news actually. Of course, no one wants a thickened valve either, but it is ultimately the regurgitation associated with it when it gets worse that is the problem.

I have regurgitation on two valves (mitral and tricuspid) as well as a reduced ejection fraction but it isn't anything of concern to my doctors yet either so I just do what I can to stay healthy (exercise some by walking, eat well, etc.) and focus on what I can do as much as possible.

I'm sure this is something they will "keep an eye on" and you won't let them drop it either! So it will be followed up on, and at this point that is really the most important thing. I only get repeat ECGs every 3-5 years with my slightly worse problem... so don't expect frequent follow up on this issue. ;)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Amanda, I have had a mitral valve all my life that wasn't just right. I was told not to worry about it, only if I am going to have surgery, then I am to tell the dr. and he is to give me extra antibiotics before hand. I have never had any trouble, but I would ask one of your dr.'s to please explain things for you, or else it is causing you to worry needlessly. I hope you get your answers, let us know. Be well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this valve thing - I've rechecked the letter and it mentions 'trivial regurgitation' and says that the 'mild nodular thickening of the mitral valve in keeping with very early Libman-Sacks endocarditis'.

I'm really not happy to let this go so I'm going to chat with my Rheumy when I go to see him in a few weeks. If there's something I can be doing to prevent things getting worse I want to know about it so I can take steps.

This is all a bit rubbish as I'm trying desperately to lose some weight & it's sort of put the frightners on me about overdoing things at the gym!! Silly I know, but it's playing on my mind this time :(

Thanks for your posts.

Amanda

·
Registered
97 Posts
Amanda,

I have also been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse with "wall thickening". I too have been told not to worry about it. :rolleyes: I have had the MVP for a very long time. I just get a "fluttery" feeling in my chest at times from the regurgitation. :wacko: I sometimes get the feeling of a hollow chest when it happens, but no real problems. I have to be pre-medicated with antibiotics for any dental procedures or any surgeries. The thickening was just diagnosed about 5 years ago, and the doctor told me that it's not bad enough for surgery, and that I was also to young to worry about it. :mad: I'm sure if I was a man, that I would have undergone more testing. But, for right now, I'm not having any problems. :hehe:

Good luck to you and hope you feel great!! :wink2::thumbs:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi,
I too have a mumer in my mitral valve but i actually don't know what the cause of the mumur is!
I too have to have antibiotics before oral surgeries aswell.
I hope you manage to find out whats going on and its not too much of a worry for you.

Good Luck

Cassie. :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It does sound like a fairly mild problem, and that's a good thing. If the regurgitation is classified as "trivial" then most doctors will NOT advise you to even take antibiotics prior to dental cleanings. I would keep on exercising lightly as this can really only do good things for you. I'm glad to hear you will be discussing this at your next appointment - hopefully all your questions will be answered and you will leave that appt. with much more assurance/reassurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts