The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh boy, do I know about cold sores. My first memory of them is age five. There's a lovely one on my kindergarden picture. I've been plagued by them off and on my whole life, but for the past several years I was able to keep them under control very well by taking a prescription drug (acyclovir) at the first sign of an itch or tingle. It knocks it right out if you take it early enough and for a few days, but will only shorten it if you take it when the sore has already taken hold. A few months ago they went out of control again because of the drugs I take for the lupus and SJS. Anything that suppresses your immune system (certain drugs, stress, the sun) and for some women, their monthly periods, can cause a cold sore flare. Once the MTX kicked in, I felt better but now I have constant cold sores. I'm now taking acyclovir 2-3 times a day to keep them under control until I can wean off of the MTX. I'm hoping (praying) the Imuran won't cause them like the MTX does. I really don't want to take acyclovir for the rest of my life.

Are you on any medication to suppress your immune system? That could definitely be the cause of your problem. Believe me, I feel your pain.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.