The Lupus Forum banner

Mouth sores/ulcers

489 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lazylegs 
#1 ·
Hi

Can anyone suggest what I can put on the sores/ulcers in my mouth? I have tried using bonjela but nearly went through the roof! :eek:

I can’t think what I can use?

Thanks

Regards

Star x

#2 ·
Yes!
I have these about every month. They are sore and annoying. Mine last about 2-3 weeks and get to the point of not talking, eating, or swallowing. Sometimes I get little white pimples on my tongue that feels like sandpaper. My lips and my tongue swells. I am still finding a way to stop them from happening but haven't gotten there yet.
This is what I find useful. I have my doctor order the "magic mouthwash". I think all of them know what that is. It is a combination of medication that is used to treat the pain and reduce the sores. Now, for insurance reasons some companies refuse to pay for this because it contains Maalox which is over the counter. All you have to do is ask your doctor to put on the prescription to not include Maalox and they will cover it. My doctor then gave me an amount of Maalox to add to it once I received it.
The only downside to this is that you have to use it quite often.

It will burn shortly at first but then will numb your entire mouth so you don't feel a thing.

We are also trying to add liquid steroids when I have these and get a shot of steroids to help.

If you find something else please let me know too. This is what I found helps for me. I also heard some say that they swish salt water but man--that sends pain everywhere when I do that!

I hope this helps you and good luck!

isavelives :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.