The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to keep getting sores on the corners of my mouth (outside) lately. Inside I'm ok (at the moment). I have SLE, vasculitis, raynauds. I take Plaquenil, Mobic, Topamax, and Bactrim DS (every other day). I have had yeast infections (down below) frequently but never in the mouth area. Could this be the problem? If so, any advice? I hate to call the doctor, again.... LOL

Thanks!

p.s. I've tried lip balms and such. They just give a quick fix but it doesn't heal.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Miss Gladys,

You might well be right about the fungal infection.

A quick google of "cracked corner mouth" brought up something called angular chelitis. I couldn''t find a professional web site about it - only hogwash bloggy types, so do your own research.

Have you shown a doctor? That would be my first step.

X C X

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've just been googling angular cheilitis as well, as I used to get these cracks in the corners of my mouth a lot. From what I can see it is usually either a fungal infection (oral thrush) or a deficiency problem (B12, or iron in particular). That last makes sense for me as I had it worst prior to being diagnosed with coeliac disease - the major symptom of coeliac disease with me at the time was malabsorption problems, and in particular low B12, iron and folate! Of course I have had cracked mouth corners more recently again as well, and its definitely not coeliac that is causing the problems this time. More likely oral thrush because of all the antibiotics I have had to have for repeated UTIs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I checked out angular cheilitis and the pix look exactly like my mouth! Being that it's a holiday weekend, I'm trying some cortizone cream first. If it doesn't improve by Monday, I will call the doctor. Thanks for your help. It was very much appreciated. :):)

Michelle

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Miss Gladys, I too have the corners of my mouth open , they are both open right now and they lately are pretty much open most of the time. And, yes they hurt. I
had gone to my Dermatologist about 3-4 yrs ago, and he gave me some RX cream
and it worked like a charm. But now I think I need something stronger, cuz the cream is not doing it's job. I suggest a Dermy cuz, skin is their speciality, I wish yo good luck and let us know what happens. Be well.

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
Ever inflammatory?

Is angular cheilitis ever due to just lupus and inflammatory activity, like with mouth sores? I started iron supplements and it seemed to help, but now I've got it back again, even with vitamins.

Has anyone ever had cracking in the corners of the mouth that doesn't respond to antifungals, antibiotics, or vitamin supplements and/or that happens during flares?

Halfpintfl - what type of cream did your dermatologist give you? Was it an antifungal or antibiotic?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had sores on the corner of my mouth too. They looked very red and seemed to be little cuts and were very painful. I tried a lot of lip balms, creams, nothing really helped. I showed my rheumy and asked him if it could be lupus related.
It could be !!! or maybe not !!!!

So what I did is I put on a little of tea tree oil and it went away.
I answered your question because I have had several fungal infections during the last two years and I also wondered whether my mouth sores could be caused by that.
Anyway for now the sores are gone.

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Snap! Maura, I'm glad to hear yours have gone away...........I have just started using tea tree oil in desperation the last two days. I've had it on the right corner of my mouth for what seems like months. I've tried anti-fungals, antibiotic and cortisone cream to no avail. I hope I have success with the tea tree oil, it seems to fix just about everything else :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Hardcandy, I don't know, but it say's "oxiconazole nitrate cream- 1%.
He told me to use that and every3rd or 4th day,use "Carmex", its comes in a squeeze tube which is easiest to use. I know how they can hurt, mine actually
open up. Ouch!!! Let me know what you get, and how it works. Be well.

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
Yeah, Halfpintfl - that's an antifungal medication. Often times, meds that end like that, with the "azole," like Diflucan (fluconazole) and Monistat (miconazole), are antifungals. I was considering getting a topical antifungal cream from the drug store. If it comes back, I'll try that next.

Tea tree, though - that's exciting! I've been researching how to best control my allergies, since they're worse in the midwest and I imagine they just add to my inflammation situation. It looks like tea tree helps to kill dust mites, so it might be my new best friend!

My mouth cracks have gone away this past week. I started taking iron supplements again - I had stopped because I figured I was probably good, after taking them for two months or so. In addition, to cover any vitamin B deficiencies, I added in a prenatal multivitamin.

I've also been slathering neosporin all over my face at night (I have acne and I pick at it), especially on the corners, and using a lip balm (made by Palmer's and available at Walgreen's, on sale) with cocoa butter in it.

I know - it totally hurts, right? Especially once it cracks open. Once it cracks open, it is so hard to heal because it keeps cracking open if you, say, open your mouth. It looks gross, or unhealthy to say the least - like papercuts with spreading redness, sometimes peeling and scaled; it's pretty impossible to cover with makeup. I'm always worried people think I have cold sores.

Maybe we can, together, find the best solution or combo of things to try, so that we never have to deal with it for very long.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Hardcandy, yes, I would love to know that there is someone else out there that is trying to hunt down some kind of treatment that will work better. Which one of us
that finds it first, we will post it, ok? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Well it's only been a few days of applying tea tree oil twice a day and already I am seeing some improvement. Here's hoping :luck:

love
Lily

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Lily,

My mouthsore went away after using tea tree oil. Yesterday the mouth crack came back. I am still not feeling good and am in a major flare. So I put some tea tree oil on it once again and today it is gone.

Hope yours is gone too.

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Well it's 'almost' cleared up, but looks like it could revert back to where it was without too much trouble, the skin is very raised and still reddish. I've stopped applying the tea tree oil the last few days because it was getting too dry and stinging and red and the actual crack is gone.

It's an all over improvement and I will see if it can clear itself up in the next couple of weeks :) Glad yours has disappeared!

love
Lily

1 - 14 of 14 Posts