TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have about 7 ulcers on my tongue and I cant seem to get rid of them. I am sucking my way through tube after tube of ulcer lotions and none seem to be making any difference.

Has anyone found anything that works?

K

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi KitKat,

I sympathise with you, they really are nasty things. My doc prescribes Adcortyl in Orabase paste, I've noticed you can now buy it without prescription. It's a yucky paste but might help to clear them up over the weekend until you can see a doctor.

To keep them at bay I use Gengigel anti-bacterial mouthwash - you can get it in Boots and it's not cheap but I find rinsing with a small amount every other day helps.

The other thing a doctor can prescribe is Corlan pellets, they are small steroid tablets which I use as a last resort and work for me really fast but the taste is :sick:

Hope that helps and you get some relief soon,

Pam x

·
JellyJazz
172 Posts
You can also try good old fashioned salt in warm water...bit painful but as we all have lupus we've bene through worse!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
My doctor gave me Dexamethasone 0.5 mg./5ml Elixir, swish 1 teas. 4 times daily. This really worked for me. After it cleared up, I found using Listerine twice a day helps keep them from returning. Mouth sores are very painful. Good Luck! Rose

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab, and dab the ulcers. I leave it on "to foam" for about two minutes (or as long as my patience will tolerate!)c I then rinse with cool water and spit it out. I don't know what would happen should one swallow hydrogen peroxide, but I'm not willing to find out. The pain subsides almost immediatly, and then begins healing within about 12hours or overnight.

·
4,430 Posts
Hello, yep I think adcortyl in orabase is good too.. it is a horrible paste that you dab on, not rub in! It does get rid of them though quite quickly. Also the mouthwash I was given whilst in a flare and had rashes of ulcers all over my tongue and mouth was Difflam and what a brilliant product that was.. finally I was able to speak properly again and start eating which previously was agony! Hope that helps.:lol:
XClaire

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

When they are so plentiful and none of the less invasive measures (like salt water rinses) are helping to clear them up then it's time for steroid pastes or mouthwashes. They work quickly and effectively. There's no need to suffer unduly when there is help out there.

love
Lily

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice.
I might show my dr then and see what she advises.
I must be honest I had never thought of even mentioning them to my Dr as they seem to small to bother her with but I guess that is wonky thinking especially if it means I can eat food like tomoatoes again without pain! Yay!

·
Duncan
254 Posts
Toothpaste

I got rid of my ulcers by not having SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) in my toothpaste. I needed a toothpaste with no SLS but wanted fluoride as I am on steroids.

Boots (UK chemist) was the only source I could find with this mix. Boots Expert Enamel Protection Toothpaste. After a couple of weeks my ulcers started clearing up. I tried my old toothpaste a couple of months later and the ulcers came back. SLS affects so many people and is in shampoos and other products, so best to cut it out totally.

Good luck

Duncan

·
I can only be myself
317 Posts
I get a steroid mouthwash called betnesol from the doc...amazing thing, doesnt help with the pain so i have lidnocaine paste as well but clears them up quicker than anything else I have ever used

1 - 10 of 10 Posts