The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always gotten mouth ulcers - but just this week at least everyday I seem to get 2 or 3 a day. They are very small and hard ulcers on the inside of my cheek - they go away in about a day. Are these the kind of mouth ulcers/ sores people with Lupus get? Or are these just normal?
Thanks, Jen

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

My mouth ulcers seem to be a bit different than what most people here describe. Mine look like someone has peeled the skin off to reveal the flesh below, but I never get a coating or film on the sores. In fact, the ones on the roof of my mouth are pretty hard to see, but I can feel and taste them.

I also tend to get a lot of blood blisters on the insides of my cheeks, and they become hard after a day or two.

I don't think it is at all normal to be getting 2 or 3 sores a day. I'd bring it to the doctor's attention.

Terri

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I have a lot of mouth ulcers and huge blood blisters, I just tend to accept it really. If your ulcers have changed or are more frequent, painful I should get it checked by a doc or dentist. They could give you some advice, let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
279 Posts
i take zinc suppliments as I find this helps. Also a topical treatment like nystatin

dixy

·
Registered
15,684 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I don't know if Lily actually took it herself (??) but yep, that is typically what mine look like when I get them. Mine can be painLESS or painFUL depending on where they are - the painful ones are often when they're on the cheek and teeth rub off them.

What you're describing does sound odd and also so many in one day and then going so quickly... I'd definitely ask your doc and/or dentist.

Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Do a advanced search on Magic Mouthwash.

It works wonders.

Clare told me about it, I did the search and many here have loved the product.

Sorry your mouth is so bad. I know how you feel as they are sometimes painful.

·
Duncan
254 Posts
Someone just mentioned methotrexate with sores. My lupus unit said that the folic acid that you lack as a result of the methotrexate can cause sores to appear more. So double up on the folic acid you are taking until the sores subside. That's what they advised me, although I've not yet tried it.

I personally found that SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) in my toothpaste (it's in virtually all toothpastes) caused them (this is a common cause). Get yourself a non-SLS toothpaste. But be careful that it has fluoride in it if you are taking steroids. You need the fluoride as the steroids weaken your teeth.

I use one in the UK from Boots called Expert Enamel Protection. It tastes like ordinary toothpaste (unlike a herbal one) and has fluoride.

I had sores on my tongue. One got so bad it ate away a chunk of my tongue. I changed toothpaste and they disappeared for good.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:lol: I didn't take it at all!

There are steroid mouthwashes that help. Maybe that's what magic mouthwash is?? They don't make a steroid mouthwash here but I manage to make a paste out of 5mg dexamethasone (steroid) to put on mine, it helps calm them down and heal them up.

Doubling up on Folate is not a good idea unless you speak to your doc about it. Reason being is that any extra folate would undo the good work Metho is doing. Besides we get mouth ulcers with Lupus anyway, I get them and I'm not on Metho.

love
Lily

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
About 'Magic Mouthwash'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_mouthwash

http://theblondepharmacist.wordpres...-the-vague-term-for-a-concoction-of-anything/

I don't know if there is an exact equivalent to Maalox on the UK market.

I believe that the basic Maalox is an antacid consisting of aluminium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide. The last mentioned is "Milk of Magnesia".
The oncology sites have a lot of info about treating mouth ulcers because they are a common side effect of chemo therapy.

I hope that is some help

Good Luck

Clare

·
Registered
8 Posts
Magic Mouthwash

Speaking as a former pharm tech it is a mouthwash made of prednisolone, maalox, benadryl and lidocaine mixed with a hairy cherry flavor. It tastes ooky but sure does the job for alleviating the pain or the oral ulcers!
:)Chihiro

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Chihiro;559033 said:
Speaking as a former pharm tech it is a mouthwash made of prednisolone, maalox, benadryl and lidocaine mixed with a hairy cherry flavor. It tastes ooky but sure does the job for alleviating the pain or the oral ulcers!
:)Chihiro
Helpful Information, thanks.

Clare T is the one who told me about this product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.