TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant believe that on top of my depression and anxiety, i didnt think this would happened. I went in very calmly layed down on the machine. the tech put on some nice music for me to listen to and ten minutes into it. My heart started pounding like theres no tomorrow.

I tried to suck it up but i couldnt any more i pressed on the device they give you in case something happens. and there i was with a panic attack. i have never experieced some like this. it was awful. my test was only halfway done and now i have to go back to get the rest of it. i am really dreading this i dont want this to happen again. im going to ask my gp for some volumes.

has this ever happened to anyone here? the tech told me it happens to alot of people.:sad::sad:

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sushi,

Yes it happens to a lot of people :( it's pretty confined in there and if you are the least bit claustrophobic it's almost a given, especially a brain scan where you are in there for quite a long time. They can arrange for sedation before the next scan. I always have it and it's a breeze with that.

love
Lily

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you Lily, that makes me feel so much better.

i have been having this strange sensation in my head it feels like something
is crawling in there or even like a tingling feeling. i had it for several hrs straight today. it was really scarey.

any ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Sushi,
I just wanted tp say that when I had my MRI I wobbled out aswell. I am usually really strong with medical procedures and things but I didn't even last 2 minutes. They put me in and straight away I started to panic and become overwhelmed. The radiographer took me out and told me to just close my eyes and concentrate on the music I had chosen and just not to open my eyes. The radiographer also told me that if it really was too much that she would take me out. She kept talking me through the procedure whilst she was taking the images and I did mange to get through it in the end.

I really understand and I don't think its silly at all. It is perfectly normal because the MRI is very claustrophobic and its also loud when the images are being taken. The radiographer told me that it is quite common for pepolpe to panic and feel overwhelmed with MRI's of the brain due to head cage and everyhthing.

Do you have to go back again or did they manage to get all the images?

Take care and don't feel bad or silly!

Cassie :)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Through the years, I've had several brain MRI's done. I can get claustrophobic easily, and have had to focus on my breathing to get through the procedures. I also NEVER open my eyes in the tube......I know it would be just the straw to tip me over the edge. I also do NOT use earplugs......I need to be able to focus and do a bit of meditation, and having sounds blocked make it worse for me. Maybe weird, but it is the way it is for me.
Sally

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was just the same............went into the tunnel, panicked and had to come out again.
Managed to go through with the procedure only without the headcage and with eyes closed throughout.
Dont forget that a sedative is available if you need it and is commonly used.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Apparently there is no predicting who will react badly. If it makes you feel better I know of a Doctor who went pot holing abroad in a party of people, found he was totally claustrophobic and had to walk a very long way backwards against the tide of other pot holers to get out. That sounds to me like an experience where I couldn't have kept my sanity. I have managed several MRIs but every one I vow will be my last.
x Lola

PS Hope you feel better today.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Sushi,

YES, your not alone. I have had numerous MRI scans over the last 4 years and when I go I take my hubby, mom or a friend with me. They rub my legs while I am in the machine so that I know that someone is with me right there and I wont get stuck or stranded.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do NOT like closed, tight places and so this works for me. Don't be too hard on yourself as it does happen to a lot of people. I take adivant too to keep me calm and it really helps.

Scary feeling and I am sorry you had to experience this. Take drugs and a friend with you next time you go. Let us know how you make out.:wink2:

The "Ants crawling in the head" feeling is something I have had since 2003 and it also moves down the right side of my neck into the shoulder area. I do not know what it is but again, your not alone. It is annoying, not painful and I thought it may have been a pinched nerve but that is not the case with me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you very much Karol, for letting me know about your experience im going to take something to help calm me down. and have my husband stay with me. About the ants:lol::lol: thats exactly how it feel. Do you still get this? did you tell the doc? what did he say about it?

Lolalola, youre right theres no prediction who will react badly because i had an mri of my spine 2 years ago and this didnt happened. thanks

BigSis, i will never go into the tunnell without sedation again:eek::eek:

Pinkpearl, when i was in the tunnell i had my eyes closed and was listening to some music i didnt feel a bit anxious until my heart started pounding out of no where. i tried not to call the tech but it just got worse. i think they should really do something about that awful annoying noise:mad::mad: thanks

Cad, i tried to stay in the tunnell even though my heart was raising because i didnt want to have to come back and go there again but it was just too much i have to go back tonight but this time with sedation. wish me luck:):)

Lily, you always make me feel so much better. thank you for your reply.:):)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sushi, You really are not yourself lately are you? I hope it improves for you.
If the dog on your Avatar is yours, he is rather like the puppy we just bought for Immi. Maurice (Mossy) is black and tan, Dachsy cross Jack Russell and totally bewitching. I am no good at photos but will get the children to take some.
A Dachsy size dog is just right for me. I have not had a small dog before, but he is strong enough to help me along and not strong enough to pull me over.

A friend of mine wasn't even able to go in the MRI tunnel, she just totally freaked. As you may know my Son is a Magician and whilst I am quite happy to get my neck in a six foot guillotine to help him rehearse, some things like a chest which fits on the head and has daggers put through it I just cannot do, despite being familiar with the equipment. These phobias are not rational. I also sometimes forget how to get out of the car or accidentally lock myself in and then all my common sense deserts me.
x Lola

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
youre so funny Lolalola, i cannot blame you about the daggers:lol::lol:.

thats really nice that your son is a magician. i love watching all the tricks.
yes youre right when you say im not myself lately. even though this disease has not hit me hard. (or maybe it has and i just dont want to admit it)

i have been going to so many doctors to find out why am i getting this chronic shortness of breath and they dont know where is coming from.

the cardiologist,(its not your heart thats causing this) my pumonalogist, (its not your lungs either) my gp doesnt know what to tell me anymore i get poked for blood so many times. in and out of the hospital. so other doctors that i cannot even remember i saw. it then my depression and anxiety has gotten worse, now i think im getting panic attacks it happened last night again and i wasnt even in the tunnell.

i was sitting down on the computer. my husband went to pick up my son and i was alone in the house. i was very calm and out of no where my heart started pounding slowly the very fast for a couple of minutes. so i had to call my husband to come pick me up. its to the point where im afraid of being alone now. this morning im going to have the rest of my mri done, with some xanax.

the dog in the picture was my beloved shadow. he passed in november 2007.
he was a german shepard. i missed him, i will never change the my aviator:):)
thats how i remember him.

congratulations on getting a new dog for your daughter immi. how is she doing with her lupus? will you be able to show us some picture of the new dog? well, thank you very much for your concern, it always good to talk to everyone here. it makes me feels so so much better. cheers:):)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lolalola, im so sorry for all the mistakes i made on that post. i reread it when i posted it and boy it must have been my lupus brain:lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I am also mildly claustrophobic. I think the worst thing about the MRI, especially the brain ones, is that they actually strap you down and that you genuinely know, no matter how hard you're doing "mind over matter", that you can't "escape".

I can just about make it with mind over matter but find closing my eyes makes it easier.

Katharine

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi Katharine how have you been. i hope everythings going well with you.

i just got back from getting the rest of the mri mra done it went well.

in the beginning my heart started rasing but the it calm down i think thats when the xanax kicked in and i felt much better in there. thank god for medication. i would never go in one of those tunnells without sedation again.

the tech was telling me that she never saw a person react the way i did
i was extremly scared and cried when i came out of there the first time.

it made things worse with my anxiety. "mind over matter" definetly works i kept telling myself its going to be over soon. and so it was. i had my eyes closed throughout the whole thing this time. i told the tech that they should come out with something better than this the noise is so darn annoying.

my gp perscribed me some antidepressants i know i should have been on them a long time ago. but i will give them a try starting monday. im going to start taking Lexapro. she gave me 10mgs but i think its better to introduce it to my body with 5 mgs for one week then ill take the whole 10. thank you be well.:):)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again sushi,

So glad to hear that you were able to get the rest done.

It sounds like the anti-depressants were a good idea too. I think we often tend to put off taking yet one more med at times but it really isn't a good idea, especially where depression and anxiety are concerned as it is very difficult to cope with the rest when that's not right.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi sushi

I'm sorry to hear of your mri experience :sad: I can empathise too as I'm claustrophobic and was traumatised after having one years ago with the head cage etc :eek:

well done to you going back for the rest of it!! that took a lot of courage sushi! I was recently advised to have one due to my hearing deteriorating but I refused and had a cat scan instead ( the polo shaped one ) :rolleyes: and I'm embarrassed to say that I even panicked in that :blush: I managed to calm myself down & finish it though, but I swear they would have to put me out to ever get me inside an mri again :hehe:

take care sushi and good luck with the results
:hug: love karen x

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Karen, i will never ever go back in there without sedation again.:)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Sushi :)
They really should offer the option - it would save time trouble and upset as well as a more cost effective use of resources, seeing as how panic is so common

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Sushi.
Well Done for finishing the MRI.
I am no good with photos but will get the children to work out some way of posting them. Immi is certainly better than she was last year,but she really does not have the stamina of an 18 year old. She has actually sent her Motability car back because she has just not been well enough for regular Driving Lessons and it seems a waste. (It is just one strain too many for her right now)

Oops, Shadow was obviously much larger than Maurice, it is hard to get an idea of scale from a picture though.
X Lola

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
sushi,
Have them try putting a wash rag over your eyes. The tech did that for me it did help. In your mind put yourself somewhere else that you like and can remember details of it. I am not saying that this will help you but it is worth a try right. Good luck with finishing your test. Let us know how it goes please.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts