TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on MTX for about 9-10 weeks and for the past 2 weeks I am at 12.5mg. I took my dose on Friday and the last two days, I've been feeling better. By the end of the day I tired and sore but all of a sudden I feel like it is working. I have a horrible cough so I can't tell completely but would it be all of a sudden like this that a switch goes on and I feel better. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello :)

I can't tell you how soon MTX takes effect but I am sure somebody experienced will soon be along to comment.
I advise getting that cough checked out though, as MTX sometimes affects the lungs.

Best wishes

Clare

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have quite a bit of mtx experience and the timing sounds right. it should be kicking in now if its going to work. I really hope this is it for you xxxx:love:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes, lupus tends to respond well to mtx. I've been on mtx for 17 years and would not be anywhere near where I am without it. I can't handle prednisone above 5 mgs and the mtx has been our best solution on dealing with the sle. Once you get past 15 mgs, ask your rheumy if you should be taking folic acid supplements daily and using leucovorin calcium as a rescue. The purpose of using a rescue is to stop the damage of healthy tissue by the mtx.

Take care of yourself in the 48 hours post mtx. You may find more tenderness and stiffness in this time.

Don't let any infections get a good hold. Because your immune system is suppressed, you may find it takes longer to get over an infection than it did before lupus.
Sally

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. I really hope this is it. I have to go to my primary doc as I have had this cough for 10 days now and my chest is heavy. I don't feel great today but don't feel it is lupus, feel like it is the cough...does that make sense? I just want to be over this virus so I can see how I really feel;) I currently do take folic acid...but what kind of calcium is that? I take calcium because I am osteopenic but just OTC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts