The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my lovlies!! hope you are all not too ill today!

Ok, so as expected...I have to have a muscle biopsy...CK was only 55 so he said its not very good at showing lupus myositis so he wants to have a look at the muscle instead..great!

Saw the nurse today and she said she's not going to lie to me, it's really horrible.

Has anyone else had one? Nurse said they will take it from my thigh?

Thanks for any info!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi Mooks

Sorry I cant help but I was offered one but declined after I had a horrible time with EMG test I was so inflammed at the time I couldnt bear to be touched let alone electrical impulses through a needle all the way up my leg arm and neck chin.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I haven't had it - my rheumy doesn't really want to do it as my treatment wouldn't change anyway - but Mum has (she had very severe dermatomyositis but hardly any blood markers at the time) and I'm afraid she'd agree with the nurse :(

Still, I suppose that if you know it is temporary and will go away, then it will be more bearable. If it brings you some answers and better treatment then it is worthwhile.

Katharine

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your honesty! I can't bear to be touched either I am in sooo much pain. can't even sit on the loo...need a cushioned loo seat hahaha! And lifting things/going up stairs is becoming a nightmare. Really need some answers or just some proof..sometimes I guess with SLE you have to go through some real nasty things just to get people to believe you. God it better come back showing something!!

Do you think i'll have to have time off work?

xxxxxxxx:love:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I'd say if you're feeling as bad as you are, the doc might be convinced easily enough to give you some time off. As to whether you would get it anyway, I have no idea - Mum's biopsy was done at the same time as having her gallbladder out so she had time off anyway.

The trouble lifting things and going upstairs is very much what Mum had. It'll be interesting to see how the tests come out anyway.

Katharine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been there, still kickin'!

Hi Mooks,

I've had the biopsy done, and it wasn't too bad. The surgeon numbed my whole thigh, so I just felt a little tugging sensation when he was doing his thing.
Was home a few hours later, and with a few pain-killers, was back to "normal" in a couple of days.
Hope this puts your mind at rest.

A xx

·
Jyneal
84 Posts
Mooks,

Good luck with the muscle biopsy. I too have major muscle pains. My husband build a ramp to come in the house so I don't have to go up stairs. They moved my bedroom downstairs, again so I don't have to go up stairs. They did this all when I got out of the hospital back in November. I was in a wheelchair back then. Now walking again on my own, but having those accomidations makes all the difference.

Again Good luck with everything. I will keep you in my thoughts

Jyneal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Mooks

don't know if this will be in time or not. I have muscular dystrophy as well as lupus, sjogren's, etc. I had both the EMG, which I thought was very painful, and an extensive muscle biopsy (they took 27 pieces from my upper arm). It was pretty sore for the first day or two and then got better each day. By day seven...it was pretty well done with no real pain left. Hope your's goes well!
hugs
mary frances

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mary,

Still havent had appointment through yet and am meant to be back to rheumy in two weeks...not that i have the appointment for that either!

Does anyone know how long the results take?

Really frustrated with stupid NHS at the moment!!!

:love: xxxxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pester them see if you can be top of the cancellation list. Good luck
dixy

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I had a muscle biopsy done a few years ago, actually on the cheek of my BOTTOM as thats also where I had a severe Lupus rash. Has 28 lesions on both BOTTOM Cheeks. They injected the area to make it numb, took a skin and muscle biopsy, it was only small cut. I had too have two stitches afterwards, but I never felt any of the biopsy being done. Hope you get your appointment soon.

Sheila x :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.