TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had it and went to the doctor for this paralyzing back pain. My doc and rhuemy spoke to each other by phone to discuss ruling out lupus being the cause even though it all started with a flare. My doctor decides I'm experiencing muscle spasms. I was surprised! How could this have started when I don't think I did anything to trigger it? No x-rays, no ct scans, just meds that are not working and I feel so scared because there is no relief in sight. I can't do a single thing to take care of my family and I all I keep thinking is that I'm never gonna get better because howw could this kind of pain just go away on it's own? Has anybody else ever had to go through this? Apparently it can happen to anyone with a simple twist of the spine or the way we reach for something or just picking something up the wrong way. If i'm not doing better in one week more tests will be done. Any thoughts are much appreciated. My knees are still killing me so I know my lupus is still active, I'm not imagining things even though my doctor went as far as to say there is no evidence of a flare:rolleyes:. Thank you all for being there!!! Sometimes I have no where else to turn to:sad: Love you all!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's a frustrating position to be in... I always hated it when my doctor would tell me my lupus was "not active" because my sed rate was not elevated. Meanwhile, I had all the same symptoms that got me diagnosed! (& sed rate was never elevated then either!).

I really hope it eases for you soon, if it is a muscle thing then usually within a week it starts improving. YOu may want to look into massage therapy too. (((hugs)))

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Back Pain

Hi DDR i have had a muscle spasm in my back i have had it for more than a year could the doctor see it going into spasms my pysio has seen it she did some massage on it also ultra sound with the little electric pulses on it as well i have not been back for about 6months i really should but i had an op on the sole of my foot and that took 12weeks to heal what kind of medication did they put you on for it i have been on morphin for a year with the pain in it and all did was open my freezer door i could not belive that somthing as opening a door could give me such pain so i know how you feel i do hope you get some relife soon best wishes from elisabeth

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi DDR

I have suffered with lower back pain now for 4 years so i can totally understand where you are coming from, i am only able to stand or walk for about 2 or 3 minutes and then i am doubled over in pain.

I have had x-rays, bone scans, MRI scans, nothing as shown any results as to what it is or why its happening. I do have psoriatic arthritis as well as lupus so who knows what is causing it.

I was put on some meds last year for spasm, they were called Baclofen (not sure where you are from, but thats the name in the UK). Unfortunatly they didn't help me at all but then again my back isn't in spasm - it was just something else to try. According to the doc at the pain clinic these meds are fantastic for spasm so maybe you could enquire about them.

I hope you get some answers and pain relief soon.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your responses.!:) I'm still layed up and I can walk a little bit without my walker but as slow as turtle. I'm now experiencing numbness starting at my tailbone and has now spread all over my body. I called my doc who said the inflammation around my spine is most likely the cause because it puts stress on the nerves that are in the spinal region. And the muscle spasms contribute also. Who knows. But I will take into consideration evry suggestion that was given to me and just hang in there. That's all I can do but it's wonderful to know I have people to talk to about this situation so I don't feel totally isolated. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts