The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are mushrooms safe for people with lupus? My mother just bought me a real food multi vitamin/mineral bottle made by garden of life. It appears to be a very good supplement but it contains a mushroom blend. I've read on the internet that it could be bad or good for lupus. The dosage is six caplets per day. I only took one but my mother thinks I should take six. Does anyone here eat mushrooms?

Candice

·
Old Timer
1,601 Posts
:eek: I love mushrooms! Especially on cheeseburgers. :bigsmile: I havn't read anything about it being bad for us and they don't effected me at all.

As far as supplements go, I seriously doubt the recommended dose is valid in most cases. I think they just want to sell more of their product, but that's just my opinion. I do feel a difference taking a good multivitamin about every other day. That's about the extent of my supplement expenses. I just don't believe a lot of what these supplements claim. Seems one day they are good for you, the next day you hear in the news it's bad for you. I let my body tell me what works. If I don't notice a difference for the better, I quit taking them. You can easily spend more on supplements than medications if you believed they all do what they claim. Of course if they all did what they say, we wouldn't need meds at all. :lol:

My non-expert advice is to try it if you want but watch for side effects. Some supplements can effect you as much as medications can.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Um Mushrooms, Eat them lots of them. Great on Pizza in pasta dishes (anything really especially if it includes garlic!:)). I haven't noted any difference between when I do or don't eat them!

I do take supplements but that is because I have problem's with my B12 so I keep up with the multivitamins and that seems to keep it in check! Don't fancy the injections!

My thoughts are if I listened to everything they said in the media I would starve and I love my food too much :)... I think everything in moderation is good (except chocolate can't moderate the chocolate :lol:).

Claire

·
Linda
39 Posts
one of my staple veggies!!!! I think a good balanced diet, fruit veg, lean protein & complex carbs - with some treats in moderation is the way to go - I don;t do supplements! I'd rather eat an orange!

But if you feel some real benefit from these - go for it! we all have our own ways of coping!

:)

Lxx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi all,

This is a strange one for me. I absolutely love mushrooms, adore...worship...

Anyway, I do eat some, in very small quantities BUT, when I'm ill, I have a very strange reaction to them. Either they make me violently sick or they go straight through me. Now when I say 'go straight through' it really is that quick. I remember at a restaurant, there were some wild mushrooms (not many) floating in a lovely soup. I ate the soup but before the main course arrived had to dash to the ladies - very weird. Sorry if this is more detail than you feel you can take :rotfl:

In the two years of remission I had I could, once again eat them though I never quite dared have a frying pan full of wild mushrooms. As my disease actvity is stable-ish for the moment, I also eat some, just a little.

Katharine

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi

Have been eating mushrooms all my life (over 50 now) and never had any reaction. Some people find them difficult to digest I know and my sister in law cannot tolerate them at all.

I take a multi-vit when income allows and always make sure it is a good one. (in the UK I use Lamberts of Solgar with no allergy problems). As Tom says I too feel better when I take one.

I must say I have never heard of lupus and mushrooms being a problem. Alfalfa sprouts are and Daniel Wallace the lupus expert in the States suggest we watch out for alfalfa in supplements. I have definitely seen this in both food supplements and also in vegetarian burgers and the like.

Hope this helps
Sara
x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I second Surferboy's evaluation of mushrooms. I can't stand them, and will not eat them by choice! I have eaten sauce cooked in them and then take the actual mushroom's out and don't have a problem in terms of any ill health effects from the rare mushroom I have ingested though (like on pizza when my parents ordered it and I didn't get one picked out or in that afore-mentioned sauce). :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thing is, I can actually eat a mushroom without knowing it and not notice the taste. But if I know I've eaten one I'd be like "urghhhhhhhhh". Weirdo huh!! :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms .....

yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy!

Eat loads of them and no problems!

Surferboy - you are like my son. He swears he hates the things, but he is eating them all the time because I shove them in everthing. So long as he doesn't spot a large piece he devours the lot. However, if he sees one on his plate he behaves as if I am trying to feed him slugs!

I think it is the texture he struggles with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mushrooms are fine but stay away from "nightshades"!
tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant are bad for us...mushrooms are fine unless you are allergic to them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts