The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a flair and my feet are killing me. The joints hurt, the bones hurt, the muscles hurt, even the nerves hurt. I am hoping someone here can give me some tips to ease the pain. I currently have no health insurance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have had the same problem for the past 4 weeks, can hardly walk. I have had it before and saw a podiatrist then. This is what helps me: stay off of feet as much as possible until they improve, wear full sole inserts in shoes (very good ones are now available in stores --- look for the ones made especially for those with arthritis or diabetes), take NSAIDS to help tame inflammation and manage pain (whatever works for you), stretch and massage feet gently every day, soak feet in warm water with or without epsom salts though the epsom salts really do help.

I am going to see the podiatrist today, will let you know if he recommends anything else that might be helpful to you.

Barb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Yes, Epsome salts are very good and do help a lot.

I have wedges in my shoes that insurance did not cover.

I had to pay out of pocket for them and they are expensive.

I am sorry you have no insurance, try soaking in the salts.

To me it is a miracle fix.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Saw the podiatrist today. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.

In addition to what I have already written, he recommended: exercises that stretch out the calf muscles, avoid going barefoot, put an ice pack on inflamed areas for 10 minutes several times a day to reduce inflammation, and wear supportive shoes that have good arch support AND a slightly raised heel.

I was also given the choice between new custom orthotics, steroid injections and/or physical therapy (ultrasound therapy). I can't afford custom orthotics and I can't tolerate the pain of steroid injections in the area they're needed so will do physical therapy (unless my health insurance is terminated on October 1st because of our inability to pay the exorbitant premiums.)

Hope this helps.

Barb

·
Registered
138 Posts
So sorry you're so sore!
When my feet are bad I do find that in addition to insoles, if you have a pair of shoes that are slightly loose, really big fluffy socks (the underwear shops 'girls' nights in' kind) help. I know it sounds childish but for me it helps, or at least is comforting because your feet at least feel soft and snuggly. And check that the shoes you are wearing have a thick cushioned sole: if I so much as walk down the street in ballerina pumps then my feet start up again!

x Hatty

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi
I really empathise my symptoms started with foot problems. If you can afford it I find a pedicure helps. I have a really clever skillful beautician who pushed me on to do something about my symptoms. I have all the pain you have plus my feet really burn as well and I get carpopedal spasms which can be very painful and last for up to 20 minutes. Some days I can hardly walk. I find wearing shoes that are not too bendy on the soles help a lot I've wasted a lot of money buying shoes that were soft thinking they would be comfortable only to find I could feel every bump in the street and often just the sight of those bumps at pedestrian crossings make me shiver at the thought of the pain to come when I walk on them. My favourite footwear are boots with inflexible soles but softish leather uppers bought for me by my wonderful husband last year when Xmas shopping because I could hardly walk.

I hope you find something to suit your problem because it can be awful not wanting or being able to walk and get on with your life. Good luck

Trindy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.