TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Monday I had an appointment with my Rheumatologist. Since we have been having rain storms my husband and I left a little earlier than normal. Living in Southern California usually means traffic accidents when it rains. The storm was already gone for the most part and we arrived early for my appointment. This is when the adventure began.

When we arrived the gate across the parking lot access was still closed. I found this strange since I know my Rheumy begins work very early. I had a 7:45 AM appointment and we arrived at 7:10. A woman from the pharmacy at ground level was walking out and she told us that the power was out on the gate. Husband left me to go on in the building while he found a parking place for the car. I discovered entering the building that the elevators were not working either. On discussion with another worker determined that my Rheumy was upstairs and his offices had power.

When husband joined me we made the decision to climb the stairs up 2 levels to the doctors office. I was not worried as I have been going up and down the stairs in our home on a regular basis. We arrived upstairs and I still felt fairly well. My Rheumy commented that he was suprised I made it up the stairs and I said that a year ago there is no way I could have done so. On leaving the office we discovered that the power still wasn't on and had to take the stairs back down. We did this despite the fact that my ankle was beginning to hurt.

Of course we weren't done yet with out trip in Los Angeles. I had a CT Scan scheduled across the street at Cedars Sinai. As we found the building I needed to go to and the parking lot where we could park a big red warning sign should have gone up but of course it didn't. My husband did discover as we began to pull into the parking structure that it was a long ramp. He immediately stopped and backed down to the opening so that I could get out and have a shorter walk. Well even the shorter walk at that point was really too much. Of course there was the extra walking in the building before we were finished there. This time my husband knew I was way past done and instructed me to wait in the lobby till he brought the car up to the curb.

If I hadn't had the CT scan appointment we never would have walked up the stairs in the first place. Because I had the CT Scan and was fasting I couldn't have coffee and a pastry. Also the appointments were close together and we didn't have a lot of time to wait for the power to be fixed in my doctors building. I slept all the way home and off and on all day yesterday. At my pain doctor appointment today the NP noticed that my hands were swollen. I slept most of the way too and from that appointment today. I have also had a long nap this afternoon. I am praying I am not going into a major flare from my adventures yesterday.

Karen

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
What an adventurous day indeed!

I really hope you don't flare from all that too, that would be so frustrating. Hopefully the extra naps will do the trick.

rest well,
Katharine

·
Registered
580 Posts
boy raggedyann, i cant believe that you went through that in one morning without having breakfast. they sould of had a generater going or maybe somebody should have gave you a call to let you know what was going on.

anyway i hope that youre feeling better now. take care:) :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Karen

What a terrible experience! I hope you recover from this stressful appointment. Wishing you a quick return.

Sarah:hug:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Karen
What a dreadful ordeal ((( Karen ))) and really bad luck. I hope too that you can rest up all you need and ward off a flare.

Many gentle hugs
Clare

·
Registered
718 Posts
on the bright side of this, the dr's got to see first hand just
how much activity it takes to put you down, and the hands &
feet to start swelling.
I do hope you'r ok now.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
((((karen))))

goodness me,poor you!!!
what an awful experience!! & so early in the morning too :eek: how you did all that on an empty stomach too,I honestly would have fainted!!

very sensible of you to sleep & have plenty of rest karen...I hope you recover quickly & don't flare any worse.
sending you lot's of healing hugs :there: :hug:
take good care...karen x
:love2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That sounds dreadful. By trying to do the right thing (go to your doctor and having the CT scan...) you have the start of a flare. I just hope you can squash it quickly with all the rest you can get... and some relaxing days ahead with very good weather.

·
11,405 Posts
(((Karen)))

What a morning you had. :eek:

I hope you can squash the flare before it gets a good hold on you.
Get plenty of rest and lots of TLC.

Love,
Lyn

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Karen,

What a day. Here you go in in hopes of feeling better and end up feeling worse. I hope that by getting rest your flare doesn't last too long.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Karen,:hug:
I feel so bad for you and I am so proud of you because you continued on even though you were in so much pain.
I hope you get over this flare quickly.

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. If I am not doing significantly better by Monday then I will call my rheumy. I am still exhausted and resting when my brain will let me. I am sure I will be fine in a few more days. The pain levels are slowly lowering towards my "normal". I am so glad to have this place to come and be a part of. To be encouraged when I need encouraging.

Thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Karen

Wow what a dreadful day for you (((hugs))).I sure hope you are able to get the rest you need so you do not get a major flare going on((hugs)).I do understand what it is like after a day somewhat like that even.I sure wish people would understand what it is like for us with lupus how climbing stairs is like a mountain for us :mad: Please let us know how you are doing karen and wishing you nothing but getting better.

Tammy((((hugs))))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts