The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm desperate for support! For the first time while being in a flare, my lower back is in so much pain and the pain is unbearable if I try to get up from sitting or laying down for a peroid of time:eek: ! It's so difficult to balance myself with my limbs because they are in PAIN as well (especially my knees). I feel helpless:sad: If anyone knows what I'm going through and can give some insight or advice, please let me know. I've reasd lupus doesn't effect the spine but the way I feel, I'm not so sure. Thank goodness for laptops know what I mean?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi DDR,

((((((((((soft hugs)))))))))

I too have back pain due to 2 slipped disks in my back that hurt all the time. When i'm flaring it seems to hurt worse and everything else is magnified, fibromyalgia, gerds, ibs, sjogrens.

When i'm in a flare like this, the thing i find that helps get me out of it quicker is if i just rest.
I started crocheting, so when i'm in a flare i can sit and have something to do that is not too strenuous.
I have developed a ganglion cycst on my wrist from crocheting,,, its a cycst that if you rub it, it will go away for a minute,, eventually after a while it goes away by its self for good. From what i understand its a build up of joint fluid.

Don't try to push yourself just do what you can. If you are like me in a flare, all I can do is walk 10feet very slowly before i have to sit back down.
By the way, i ended up getting collegen shots in my back because i couldn't take it anymore and they(docs) where pressuring me to exercise.
It worked. I'm on week 3.

Good Luck
Take Care

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have terrible back pain when I'm in a flare. I'm in a flare right now and it's so bad I can hardly move. My dr. has checked a ton of stuff and she can't figure out what is causing it. She just gives me pain pills for it which don't always work. It is awful and I'm sorry you're going through it too. Take care and hang in there!!
alicia

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hiya

I have a bit of a back problem anyway, but when i am flaring and my back joins in it feels considerably worse than usual. It is during these periods i am at my most low. I do not sit down for very long at all when my back hurts and i tend to lie as flat as I can for periods.

So i might get up and potter about seeing children off to school, then check a few e-mails, then go to bed again to lie flat (set alarm for 1 hour cos i can sleep any time except at night if i have slept too much in the day time). I never understand how i can sllep so much when my back hurts, but i am good at 'switching off' so usually nod of as soon as painkillers start to kick in. i suppose it is just exhausting being in pain.

I slow everything down so i do not try to rush or jolt myself, and make sure I consider how i am going to change position, etc. makes me look a bit like a drama queen, but it is important and it helps.

Then I'll get up and do a bit more, then go back onto bed well supported with pillows and read for a bit. I put them behind my back and support my head well, then place a couple under each elbow and two on my lap to support a book so I do not crane my neck. If my legs are flaring I will even put pillows beneath my knees.

and yes - I do have an awful lot of spare pillows!

Then I'll get up again ... and so on. It sounds like a lot of messing about, but I do get through a few jobs this way. If I sit in an armchair or sofa I end up almost crippled with pain. Same with driving - can't go far cos repeated twisting to look behind when reversing, etc. causes big problems. I am better stood on my feet all day thansitting in a chair for 1 hour.

I find a hot bath helps, and I take my anti-inflammatories like clockwork at the first sign of trouble, then add other (prescribed) pain killers as and when or i find constant pain makes me very weary ... which can make me weepy. I do not reduce my doses until I have been comfortable for at least 1 week, then i reduce to my maintenance dose.

At the moment i am free of analgesia. I find looking forward to it subsiding helps, and the relief given by the anti-inflammatories , etc. stops me getting really down.

I am very sorry you are in pain DDR. I know only too well just how miserable it is. Is there any thing you can do, if only for short spells by way of mental distraction? I usually read books in bed, or posts here on pc (briefly) but in the past i have set to on a piece of blackwork or cross stitch. I find something reptitive enough not to have to think too hard, but enough that i have to focus on thatone task is best for me. I no longer stitch becasue i have to sit andit hurts.

Sorry to waffle.

Meanwhile, why not go to doctor to see if there is anything the matter with your back on top of lupus? Iknow it's not a nice thought, but you could be putting up with something unnecessarily. and some pain killers work better for backs than others.

When you feel a little more comfortable you might try a little gentle swimming or other gentle exercise. It is not what you want to do when you are in pain, and there is nothing worse than people going on about exercise, but just floating about in the pool does help a bit, i find. I resisted attempts top get me swimming for 2 years (mainly cos i copuld barely swim, to be honest) and now I know it will help, so tend to pop to the baths at the first sign of trouble - gently.

Please take care and keep posting when you feel like this cos it really is miserable.

:love:

Sorry about spellings, etc - new keyboard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I am so thankful for this site and the caring people who respond to my current problems:) ! I didn't realize how many of you can relate. Having this back pain has really debilitated me to the point where I don't want to get up just to go to the bathroom cause I walk as if I'm 100 years old and it hurts! I will look for other ways to pass my time as I sit here, possibly cross stitching, and thanks fot the advice and suggestions! I suppose we all adjust to our ailments when we've delbt with them before, but being this is the first time with this new symptom, I'm just trying to hang in there for now. Thank you all and God bless.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi DDR, it sounds to me like you are in a flare, but a fibro flare.
I have fibro along with my lupus, and that really brings back memories of my days lying in bed due to the most unbearable pain
that you are talking about. All I can suggest is lie down all you can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have fibro but it didn't come to mind that that was the cause. I haven't had problems with my fibro for about 8 months or so because the fish oil has helped so much and so has acupuncture. Very good possibility though. Thanks halfpintfl!

·
Administrator
10,196 Posts
Have you had you back examined by a doctor? There are a host of things that could be causing this pain, some of which are treatable. If your symptoms continue I urge you to get an expert opinion.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Ddr

Hi ddr did you get the doctor out to see you i had a really sore back still have i got doc out and he gave me an injection that didnt work then he came back in and gave me pethadine that did not work so he gave me morphine which i am still on have been on them for a year do you think yhat you could have pulled a muscle as it is so easy to do but the pain is excrutiating i hope you get some help for the pain keep us posted best wishes elizabeth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts